How to Clean Windows, Window Sills and Window Tracks

Whether you are looking out the windows to catch a glimpse of your children or you want to see who is coming up the drive, your windows deserve to be clean for you. I give you a variety of tips and step by step instructions on how to clean the windows, those dusty window sills and then the ever neglected window track! Check here for the instructions: http://askannamoseley.com/2012/04/spring-cleaning-washing-windows-more/

Anna M

• Don't want to

I have rough finished light walls in the house I've just bought. They have light brown dirty looking stains on entire walls. I've tried scrubbing with cleanser, mold and mildue remover, a brush, window cleaner, bleach, vinegar and nothing helps. Is there anything else I can try?

• Jeanie

Paint, use a stain blocking primer first.

• Zus12347733

Have you tried Tylex??? I use that on everything white or light that's washable.

• Cindy Craw

It sounds like you have cigarette smoke residue on your walls. Does the window cleaner you were using contain ammonia? Home Depot carries a product recommended here: "For the wall wash, I've found TSP to be great for heavily stained walls. It's concentrated degreaser that will help remove those heavy nicotine stains from the wall." Rather than buy this product, I use Windex. It's the ammonia that gets the nicotine stains off. You must spray it on the wall, not the rag you're using to wipe it off. You'll go through a ton of rags. A brown liquid will run down the walls, so start at the top. I suppose you can use straight ammonia, but I find it too toxic and dangerous to use, so I've never tried it. It is a physically demanding chore and time-consuming. Get lots of help! Good luck. (There are other products available that completely cover stains. You can then paint.)

• Darlene Mulligan

Powdered TSP mixed with water, use a Dollar Store spray bottle. I save old cotton t-shirts to use as rags (cotton leaves no lint). Wash the walls, then rinse well. A lot of work, but worth the result. I'm not a Windex fan, as I find it still can leave a very light film that is tougher to wash away.

• Carol Holstein

It sounds like the former owner took down wallpaper, and did not clean all of the glue off. They most likely painted over it. You may end up having to sand it first, then paint with a primer before the final coat of paint.

• Val johnson

How do I get nicotine off of white metal window sills?
    • Suzi Thornton

Hot water and dish soap have worked for me. If it has been on for a long time you may need a gentle use of baking soda to scrub.

• Momentumjanitorial

Hey Anna, thanks for great ideas that you have shared for cleaning windows. Any premises whether your commercial windows or your own its cleaning is very important as it attract attention the moment when people enters inside. For this work always consider a professional cleaning service provider for window cleaning task.

• Ver17821036

Show how u did it. I only see before & after pivyuyr