Sand in bird baths - mosquitos?

Tammie SYvonne BApril E
+6

I heard recently that you can put sand in the bottom of a birdbath to help keep mosquitoes. Any validity to this?
  • R.V.R. Farris
    R.V.R. Farris

We just empty and clean our birdbaths most everyday. The sand would be poured out if we did that.

• I do not see how since sand in the bottom could hold just enough water for the mosquitoes to lay eggs. They do not need pools of water to multiply. As R.V.R. states cleaning water everyday is beneficial to the birds and other insects who visit (plus if you lay some rocks in it so the butterflies can land on them and get a drink because they drink droplets)

• Barb Rosen
    Barb Rosen

I would not trust this advice, Tammie. We live near sandy salt marshes that are teeming with mosquitoes! Sure doesn't work there!

• AvonelleRed
    AvonelleRed

It is likely that the sand is used more for aiding the birds in digesting their food than helping to keep the mosquito population down.

• John stark
    John stark

How about sand paper lol --- I made a funny

• April E
    April E

while sand is good for many birds, it does not do anything about mosquitos. but as mentioned above cleaning daily or a tiny fountain to keep the water moving will. eggs cannot hatch in moving water

• Yvonne B
    Yvonne B

Copper Pennies have seemed to help in our birdbath.

• Tammie S
    Tammie S

Yvonne, I like that idea. I have made some penny balls that sit in bird baths. I wonder if there is science behind this? As for washing the baths out daily...to much going on in my life and too many baths. Sometimes there is just rainwater in them and I would like like to not have to worry about the mosquitoes. Also, didn't realize that sand can be good for birds. Interesting. Thanks!

• Tammie S
    Tammie S

This looks interesting for baths in the sun. I have a lot of solar lights / solar chandeliers, etc.

q bird baths mosquitos sand, gardening, outdoor living, pets animals, Solar Water Wiggler