Make an Old Kettle Herb Garden in Seconds!

I was really enticed to grow a few of my own herbs. So I dug around in my junk stash and there, staring right back at me was my old kettle collection. Perfect!
After layering the pots with stones and soil, in went the plants. But they're topped with something that makes them even cooler to look at... read below for how I did it.
My kettle inspired mobile garden is FUN to move around! And eat. :)
make an old kettle herb garden in seconds, gardening, repurposing upcycling, How pretty do these kettles make for potted plants
How cute is this collection of old kettles for a kitchen themed herb garden?
make an old kettle herb garden in seconds, gardening, repurposing upcycling, Fab thrift store finds became my targets
I love to collect these guys from the thrift stores. Even if they're broken.
make an old kettle herb garden in seconds, gardening, repurposing upcycling, A peat moss based potting soil was added then a little spanish moss to hide the soil which makes the pots look fuller More pics at
After the plants go in, I layer the tops of the soil with spanish moss. It offers a fun, rustic touch!
Do you collect kettles too? What do you do with yours?
Funky Junk Interiors - Donna

• Heidi

Do you punch holes in the bottom of the pot? Or how do the herbs drain and not get moldy?

• Karen Lee-Sports

The post says that she added stones first (for drainage) and then the soil....I also do this with pots that have drainage holes, for a filler, not to use as much 'store bought' dirt (potting soil.) Hope this helps.

• 169756

Maybe lids could be used as saucers for them in some fashion. Very good idea for containers. Think I'll go check out the basement.

• Buffy

I've been collecting old and mostly copper colanders to use as planters. The holes are great for drainage as well as adding some spiffy hanging wires! So much better than spending $20+ on a pot from a big box