$30 Cedar Shim Kitchen Back-Splash

Decided to cover my chalk board back-splash with cedar shims.
Trimmed each shim down and stained them in a dark walnut colour.
Once they were all dried, we applied no-more-nails to the back of them and laid them on the wall in a brick pattern.
It has been a year and they still look great and take what ever my kitchen throws at them.
Stained and ready for no-more-nails
Stained and ready for no-more-nails
All done and looking great.
All done and looking great.
Love the texture and the rustic look of them.

• Candy Walsh

Did you put any kind of topcoat or varnish on it, or is it just the painted wood?

• Jodi Adams

Hi Candy, I just used the stain for the wood. I sold out house last October and the new owners love the backsplash and are keeping it. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't go so dark, I would of lightly sanded each piece and used a stain and sealer all in one. These would help with the cleaning of it. It was easy to clean, but hard on my cloths while cleaning them. Little bits of fluff got stuck on them . Thanks and I hope that answered your question!

• Candy Walsh

Yes it did, thank you! And I'm definitely pinning this one, it's one of my favorites (as well as easiest and inexpensive) that I've come across and I've been looking at tons! Thanks for the great idea and good luck in your new home :)

• Beth

How many packs of shims did you use and how many square feet did you cover? Trying to see if this is more cost effective than my other ideas!!

• Jodi Adams

This was 6 years ago and we have since moved from that house. I believe we used 2/3 packs because I trimmed each shim. (I didn’t like them too thin at the one end and some were cracked) the space was approximately 1.5 feet high by 7ish feet in length.

• Christine Jess Danbrook

This looks amazing. Great job !!

• Kris

Did you install this on back of stove? I would like to do this but afraid of a fire hazard. What would you suggest for protective coatings etc.???? What did you mean trim & no more nails? It looks great!!!!!!

• Susan N

@Kris There are paints made for refinishing bar-b-ques and the inside of wood burning fireplaces. The colors are pretty limited. Research what's available and if the paints can be used on wood instead of just metal and masonry...