Julia Dickey
Julia Dickey
  • Byron, MN

Building our own Hobbit Hole

$300

Last Christmas my family visited Hobbiton, the movie set where they filmed part of the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings movies. We decided to try our hand at creating our own.
building our own hobbit hole, diy, landscape, outdoor living, woodworking projects
This is just a facade. The true purpose of the structure is a retaining wall.
We started with a weedy slope behind our house. The lower wall was a previous project using recycled telephone poles.
The back of the wall is railroad tie retaining wall running about 40 feet. We set back the middle section for the hobbit hole. It is about 10 feet.
My husband added treated plywood, dur roc, and chicken wire. Now we were ready to try our hand at stone work.
Getting the patio pavers to stick took a while. The stone was left over from a fireplace re-do.
I made the door out of cedar fence pickets and the windows are clocks from Target.
We added fallen tree trunks to the top and the sides to hide the edges.
I started on the paver walkway, built the little stick chair, and did some landscaping.
With a low temperature of 28 last night I am about done gardening for the season. Next spring we hope to sod the roof and add a small fence to the front.
[media_id:]
I know there are people who think this is a colossal waste of time and money. We built this for the people who say "OMG! You have a hobbit hole in your back yard. "

• AJ Jeannette

I honestly love this. Very cool idea and fairly easy way to spruce up unusable areas of the yard. I remember when I first bought our home how unusable the back yard was with all the underbrush and waist deep pits. What a mess.

• Barbara

Love this wish I had some place to do this. We are going to New Zealand next year to visit the Hobbit homes etc. can't wait.