Kim S
Kim S
  • Winston Salem, NC
Asked on Aug 12, 2012

What kind of plant or weed is this?

Kim SMarg CPAMMIE
+3

The leaves fold closed at night. It may be some sort of bean plant because it has the long skinny bean things on it. They grow about 5 feet tall before flowering.
q what kind of plant is this, gardening
q what kind of plant is this
q what kind of plant is this, gardening

Sicklepod, or Senna obtusifolia. A weed, and one that is poisonous to animals.

• Walter Reeves

We called it coffeeweed when I was a kid. Douglas is correct that it's harmful to animals that eat it.

• Kim S

Thank you!

• PAMMIE

We call it coffeeweed also on our farm. Many years ago my son was little and was riding on the farm with my Daddy in his truck. My son wanted to drive and Daddy told him not right now, my son was riding in the back of the truck. My Daddy looked in his mirror and my son was sticking his tongue out at him. Daddy stopped the truck, got out and got a coffeeweed and put an old fashion "whipping" on him. My son will tell you to this day, he has never stuck his tongue out again at anyone. I think of this story everytime I hear or see coffeeweeds.

• Marg C

love the shape of the leaves.

• Kim S

I actually think that they are a pretty attractive weed. From what I have read I need to pull the beans off it or I will have a mess on my hands next year.