Paul M
Paul M
  • Fairburn, GA
Asked on Aug 12, 2012

What is this weed?

Julie BrunoLori garrettPaul M
+3

I have observed these growing in middle to north Georgia for the past few years. They grow in moist soil usually next to a stream or swamp but not right in the water. When they bloom the tiny flowers are pinkish, and butterflies, bumble bees, honey bees, wasps, etc., love them. The will be there day and night until the flowers wither. I have never seen them before when I stumbled upon them in the woods a few years ago and if you think a butterfly bush attracts butterflies you haven't seen any action like the one that this weed generates. I moved a couple of them to my house but they struggle due to lack of moist soil. Anyway if anyone knows what this is it would be nice to be able to identify this plant.
Thanks
The butterfly weed!!!
The butterfly weed!!!
  • Susan R

It looks like Joe Pye weed. They grow wild but you can also buy them from a nursery, as I did. :-) Butterflies love them.

what is this weed, flowers, gardening, Joe Pye in my garden
  • Ellen H

Is it tall? Joe Pye is pretty tall, I think. I had something growing in the woods across from my house that was a butterfly magnet as well - a very nondescript vine with tiny white flowers that I finally identified as climbing hempweed. The land across the road was cleared but I'm going to keep my eyes open for some of that vine I might could transplant to a corner of my yard. The butterflies were crazy for it.

what is this weed, flowers, gardening, Climbing hempweedwhat is this weed, flowers, gardening, monarch on climbing hempweed

I can attest to Joe Pye being a bee and butterfly magnet. In my garden it grew to towering heights, but that depends on conditions. There are smaller cultivars (Eupatorium dubium 'Little Joe' is one) that can be easier to use in the home garden.

• Paul M

I've been looking at and collecting plants for years but for some reason I missed this one. Yes it does look like Joe Pye weed to me as well. Thanks for the help in figuring this out.

• Lori garrett

astiba

• Julie Bruno

Joe pye weed.