Joanne Kinlaw
Joanne Kinlaw
  • Plymouth, PA

Kitchen Cabinet Redo on a Budget $104!

$104

I had red oak cabinets for about 6 years and I hated them but they were the (ex) husband's choice. Now I'm divorced and I redid them all by myself using paint and beadboard wallpaper. I love it!
Before
Before
So...this is what I had (in the top photo). I didn't like it and it wasn't my choice.The walls were a tan color which really needed to be repainted. Off to Lowe's I go...Ultra white paint for the cabinets-1 gallon $28, Silver sand paint for the walls-1 gallon $28 A roll of bead board wallpaper $20 and some new knobs that I purchased from eBay for $28 for a total of $104 and a few weekends of work.
When I started this project I took the knobs off of course then I took the doors off to sand them so everything would stick without a problem. I measured the Inside panels of all the doors and started cutting my pieces of wallpaper. In what seemed like no time at all, I had all the doors covered. I really have no skills so of course I had some trimming to do as far as the wallpaper but nothing major. I just went at it with a small razor knife then I painted all the cabinets. Then the walls. I'm really into country decor so I was loving the results. It made my kitchen look so much bigger and brighter! Not to mention the satisfaction of doing something like this on my own : )
After
After
This is the end result!
I have to mention...the ex-husband stopped by. He was not happy that I painted over his hard work as he put it. He looked at one of the doors and said "where did you find the wood thin enough to fit in the panel of the doors?" Mind you this guy is a carpenter!!! (I was laughing inside)
kitchen cabinet redo on a budget, chalk paint, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painted furniture
Another top cabinet photo
Bottom cabinets.

• Steve Donna Butterweck

How did you adhere the paper? How sturdy is this treatment?

• Joanne Kinlaw

It's wallpaper. I had to wet the back before I applied it.

• Tcooper9

Do you remember the brand of wall paper used? Loving this refreshed look for my son’s kitchen.

• Jean

how did you prep your cabinets before you painted? I have honey oak cabinets similar to yours. Ready for a makeover.