Meagan Hopper
Meagan Hopper
  • Kennewick, WA

Counter Top Remodel for around $20.00!

$20.00

Wanted new counter tops but isnt in the budget yet.. Found Rust-Oleum counter coating at the local Home Depot ... I guess the hardest part was picking a color they have 16 to chose from and the box didnt really give a clear color on it but ended up trying the color Taupe... If you are unsure with what color you can go onto the web site and request 4 different swatches to be mailed to you. Im a huge fan of Rust-oleum and for the price you cant go wrong!
Before .. 70's fake wood laminate
Before .. 70's fake wood laminate
To prep the area all you need to do is clean with soap and water and make sure it is dry ... after I did paint I did notice a few spots.. one being clear tape and the other a super glue spot .. oops!
counter top remodel for 20 00, countertops, diy
Rust-oleum countertop ! comes in 16 colors! around 20$ and does 25 linear sq ft
After
After
What you will need is a high density foam roller some tape and extra ventilation .. the smell is extremely strong but as soon as it dries the smell pretty much goes away... I painted one side of the kitchen first since there is no way I can keep my kids away from the kitchen for 3 days... the first area I used tape around the stove and a small paint brush around the back-splash instead of the roller.. with the sink area I also used a brush and because it is oil base paint I just tossed the brush ... even though there is no grain counter I did go the same direction and have noticed some areas are thicker but not noticeable unless you are looking for it....
Close up of the area
Close up of the area
Just a extra note .... the box says 3 days to dry it means 3 days to dry and cure .. I ended up placing a jar on the counter and it left a small mark ... this also is NOT heat resistant that is the only down fall I have found .. time to start using heat pads :)

To see more: http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/countertop-paint/

• Lms8536417

What about toasters and crock pots on the counter and what about the dish washer steam?

• Meagan Hopper

Actually it held up for a year and I repainted it another color and added a top clear coat it's holding up so much better ... and all those items don't do anything to the top but did find out even with a towel and placing hot canning jars on them to cool it's left a ring on the counter .. that's the only thing that's caused any discoloration

• Rhonda Hecker

I did this in my bathroom and am not happy with it. There are always little spots that aren't scratches that need repainting, I've retouched it up at least three times

• Lms8536417

What about the heat from toasters and crock pots and the steam from the dish washer?