Boot Birdhouse

I saw something similar when I was looking for upcycling projects and this is my own take on what I saw. I really wanted a pair of old leather work boots for this project, but these canvas and rubber ones had the right shape. So I spray painted them.
repurpose garden boot birdhouse, outdoor living, repurposing upcycling
Then I cut a hole and drilled a smaller one for the perch. I was lucky to find a cheap tin embossed plaque, and cut it in half, then bent it in half again. I taped the tin with painters tape so it had the shape I wanted and glued it to the top of the boot.
I used a metallic paint pen for the highlights and mounted it through the sole with screws to a cheap metal shelf bracket.

• Ardale

Cute rustic birdhouse but would like to ask have you had any birds nest in it yet? Would also like to know if water leaks inside the boot from the holes where the laced thread? Very cute and creative way to use something that would normally be just thrown away. This would look so cute in our backyard since we live in the country and our yard is full of trees giving the look of a park!

• Lori Bradshaw Cornett

Love it!!!

• Bsg1562013

This is a great idea and economical too. Please carefully review the ingredients on the paint and hot glue. They maybe highly toxic to the wild birds. If it says made in China, rest assured they are licensed to kill. Birds would not nest in a birdhouse that has a perch as it might invite other birds that would eat their eggs. If you look at most birdhouses in wild bird stores they do not have a perch and/or would not recommend buying a birdhouse with a perch. During rainy season, the canvas would absorb the rain which would potentially turn into a moldy environment for the birds or their chicks. This could be addressed by having a much larger roof to keep the entire canvas dry. I am not knocking the ides. It is a great project. I am merely suggesting some bird friendly modifications so you could attract more healthy birds to your backyard and prevent bird diseases impacting the bird population. Please forgive me if I have offended anyone as this was not my intent.