SawHorse.net
SawHorse.net
  • Atlanta, GA
Asked on Aug 13, 2012

What type of accolades do you look for in a contractor?

SawHorse.netMiriam I3po3
+6

SawHorse just got named to the book of lists "Top 25 renovation companies" in Atlanta according to the Atlanta Business Chronicle. We also have 125 design awards.
Do these things matter in your selection for a contractor or do you value reviews, community support and knowledge just as much or even more?
We appreciate your honest feedback since there is so little time to do everything and we would like to focus on what matters to the present day consumer.
  • 3po3

A personal recommendation is valued above all else for me. I also value customer reviews, though I always take them with a grain of salt. Also, I have to be honest that sometimes when I see a bunch of awards and fancy accolades, I assume the contractor is on the costly end, so it would turn me away if I wanted a small, simple project done (which is pretty much all I ever want done), but if you are more interested in focusing on bigger, high-end projects, then that's probably irrelevant.

• Phil Bauman

I would have to agree with Steve again. As a former business owner, I found it to very easy to be listed as a top company in your area, or state, by joining various business and trade organizations, such as the BBB, or Chamber of Congress. I would give much value to the opinions of my friends, and family that have had dealings with particular contractor. And you should know that there are companies out there that make a living by having their employees give positive reviews of products and businesses.

• SawHorse.net

Thanks for your feedback. This list is based solely on revenue for the year. I would agree with the reviews. We have had more leads from review sites than from winning awards.

• SawHorse.net

What do you all think about design awards? We have stayed away from them for the past 5 years since they take a lot of time and effort to fill out. Are you all impressed by design awards?

• Miriam I

To me, a design award is impressive, but I wouldn't select a company based on their awards. I gravitated more towards companies who care less about awards, and are more concerned about holding themselves to their own high standards. That being said, I'm sure awards do mean a lot to others, and are probably well deserved in many cases. This is just my personal feeling.

• SawHorse.net

So how can you tell if a company is "holding themselves to their own high standards?" Blogs? Articles? Website?

• 3po3

I guess if I had a huge budget for a project that required unique and skilled work, I would look for an award-winner. Otherwise, I just go to reviews and personal recommendations. I guess if I had a personal recommendation that was out of date, I would ask for a more recent referral directly from the company. I don't give a huge amount of weight to blogs and web site information. A company can say anything in a blog or web article.

• Miriam I

I like companies who put themselves out there (content marketing and social media)- when they have the budget/resources to do so, because it shows they have nothing to hide and you can get a feel for who they are. There are some big contractors that I've never met, who I like a lot. I like them on facebook, see them post a few times a week, and feel comfortable with them even though I've never met them. So yes, blogs and articles. Website - if it's a very prestigious firm, I'd expect a beautiful website, but I see that more as a technicality. I'm not saying I wouldn't go with a company because they don't have a social media presence, but it would require more time to research and get to know them, while the ones who are active, I am already comfortable with.

• SawHorse.net

This is good feedback. Thank you.