Jackie
Jackie
  • Arcadia, FL
Asked on Aug 13, 2012

Is it possible to paint pressed wood floors ?

JeannieKarenMoxie
+5

My dogs have ruined my carpets when I was in the hospital. It is a mobile home with pressed wood floors. Is it feasible to paint them ?
  • 3po3

I believe it's possible to paint pressed wood flooring. You could also use stick-on vinyl tile. It's inexpensive and fairly attractive.

• KMS Woodworks

do you mean particle board floors?...or OSB (Oriented strand board) . these materials will swell if too much moisture is present. Sealing with an oil based primer would reduce the chance of this happening.

• Jackie

just cant afford to replace with tiles or anything other than possibly paint right now. What kind of paint should I use to keep it from swelling ? It is the newer pressed wood (mobile home) not like the old stuff.

• KMS Woodworks

I would start with Sherwin williams "pro block" then use a a color of your liking. Keep in mind that painted floor will wear...but for now you could get by on the cheap.

• Jackie

I tore a small section out last night and put wood varnish on it to see how it looked.I dont think it is typical particle board. It looks more like plywood. I only did a section about three inches wide between master bedroom and bath. I think with some poly urethlene over it, it may not be too bad for a while........eventually want to replace with ceramic or acrylic tiles. One room at time.........thanks for the advice.

• Moxie

I did some of mine for similar reasons..I used Zinsser primer, two coats of porch and floor paint, stenciled a design and then sealed with Varathane...they came out great! Patch any bad spots with wood filler first.

• Karen

I painted our entire upstairs pressed wood/particle board floor with porch paint. It's been there for over a year and has held up well. We are waiting for Publisher Clearing house to arrive at our doorstep so we can spend the money on flooring. In the meantime it is easier to sweep and of course mop. When I did this I didn't do anything special to it..just painted it.

• Jeannie

I painted my sub floors in a recent post (ForWhatItsWorthJeannie.com). Just do the prep work - sand smooth, paint and seal with polycrylic.