Stephanie @ Garden Therapy
Stephanie @ Garden Therapy
  • Los Angeles, CA

How to Save Heirloom Tomato Seeds

Saving heirloom tomato seeds brings back those memories of science classes. The seeds can't be just scooped out and dried, they need to be removed with all the slimy tomato guts and left to ferment. A little gross factor and lots of fun makes this a great project to do with kids.
More information on this project at http://gardentherapy.ca/saving-heirloom-tomato-seeds/
Step 1: pick out the very best tomatoes for seeds that will make the very best tomatoes.
Step 2: scoop the guts into a jar. Fill with 1/4 cup water and leave to ferment in a warm place.
Step 3: rinse off the seeds, dry and store for next spring.
Stephanie @ Garden Therapy

• Ucc1938183

How long do they ferment ?

• Ella Syverson

It will take about four to five days. I shake mine twice a day. When you see only seeds on the bottom rinse and dry.

• These are the prettiest photos about saving tomato seeds that I've ever seen! I like how the jars are labelled on top using the paper towel...very clever. Thanks for sharing :)

• Joanie

There are sooooooooo very many seeds to dry out and plant. Just label a pill bottle or aspirin and you got a garden in the makin'.