Omar De Pablo
Omar De Pablo
  • Spring Hill, FL

Master Suite Remodel Surprise

So the wife leaves for a 30 day African missions trip and I decide to tackle my first bedroom renovation project. Mind you I have done little projects here and there, but nothing of this magnitude. I was truly only going to repaint the room, but was quickly overcome by the desire to spruce it up a bit. As you can see by the before pictures it was “okay” compared to other rooms (whichever those might be) but still dark, aged and in need of help. I wanted something cozy, cottagey, resort like. I was stepping out in faith because my wife knew nothing about the project and I would not have her input. Shhhhh, it’s a secret. This would really test how much I think I know her.
Master bedroom and bath remodel using thrift store finds and re-purposed items. The first daunting task was to repaint all the wood trim to white and prime red walls. Then the walls were painted a light yellow to give the room some air. The windows were framed out entirely from recycled wood and the shutters are thrift store louver closet doors that were cut and reassembled to size. Same was done for the door leading to pool area. All frames used in the room for decor were thrift store finds that were repainted. The crates are from Michaels™ and were stained and decorated by, you guessed it thrift store finds. Lifted vanity off ground and gave legs. Used recycled wood and bead board wall paper to create raised door panels from the flat Formica doors. Removed Formica counter top and used recycled wood from a closed local restaurant. Closed out medicine cabinet and used recycled molding. Both sinks were recycled from someone™s back yard. Gave texture to upper portion of walls (Spanish lace and applied bead board wall paper to bottom half. The large eight foot long mirror was left in place and divided by the same recycled wood shelf and framed out to look like two separate mirrors. I removed the soffit fluorescent lights and rewired for two separate fixtures. The ladder was made from recycled ballet bars and wood from a closed dance studio.
master suite remodel surprise, bedroom ideas, home decor, painting

• Stephanie

Why type of boards did you use for the bathroom counter tops?
    • Omar De Pablo

Good afternoon. The boards were actually recycled (just thrown out) from a closed down restaurant. They were accent pieces in the restaurant dining and bar area. They are stained and ploy'ed 2x6 pine. Don't know the stain color. I got lucky because they already looked aged.
  • Jen33796296

What are the dimensions of the bathroom shelf?

• Jordan Farr

What did you seal the wood with? And how is it holding up? I love this look, but wonder how it will do in the long run with water getting on it. Or cleaning sprays.

• Lovesunique

What a surprise. Covering up the red paint was in and of itself a trial. Doing the entire master area with all the special touches is inspiring.

• Lorraine

Beautiful job. I especially love the bathroom. What a transformation! I'm sure your wife LOVED it. You da man!!