Anna Tenerelli-Hicks
Anna Tenerelli-Hicks
  • Kent, WA

Fall Mantel Makover On A Budget

$25
1 Week

I too often hear " I would love to decorate my home but just can't afford it". I'm proving here that with a little patience & time~ anyone can! Decorating your home doesn't mean that you have to purchase everything from designer stores. Take a look~ everything here was either made by me with items that I had on hand or from garage sale & thrift store finds.
fall mantel makover on a budget, fireplaces mantels
Here is a "before" picture of a friends beautiful brick mantel~
I found this large mirror at a garage sale for $5, knew it had potential so I took it home, cleaned it up, painted, distressed and sealed it with a dark brown wax. Good as new!
Next, I decided to make a book page wreath from a old book that I had on hand to be placed in the center of the mirror.
Both of these vases were finds from a garage sale for $1 each which included the Fall leaves and I just added some sticks & curly raffia that I had on hand.
The picture frames were also garage sale finds for .50 each that I took home and painted in Fall colors. The tall skinny candle holders were thrift store finds on half price pink tag day~ total cost including candles were $5.
Baskets are always a safe inexpensive way to decorate and can be found almost anywhere! I picked this one up for $1 at a garage sale~ took it home and painted it a dark brown with some spray paint that I had on hand. My friend had the plastic pumpkins so to jazz one up a bit, I purchased a vinyl letter to attatch to one for $1.
Another basket ( in great condition) that I found while out thrifting for $3~ decided to use this one to store wood.
And here is the after! The only thing that I purchased new was the "Blessing" bunting which was on sale for $5 and the 3 little fresh pumpkins which were .69 cents each.

To see more: http://Shabby and Sew Much Mor

• Rita

I decorated my front porch with finds from Goodwill and what I had on hand. Spent $20 total and have had a lot of compliments on it. This was my first time doing this and will definitely do it again. Your decorations are amazing and it looks great!

• Myrna Engle

Great. Very warm and seasonal. Thankfully you didn't murder the value by painting it.