Recaptured Charm
Recaptured Charm
  • Canada

Old Armoire to Kitchen Pantry

2 Weeks

This old Armoire was tired and rendered useless, but with milk paint, some screening and new rustic hardware it became a beautiful kitchen storage cabinet. The purpose is updated and the look is left as old world, rustic and charming. Reminds me of the old Pie Safes. First, remove the old mirrors from the doors. Give it all a coat of milk paint in Acadia Pear. Install some runners on the insides of the cabinet to hold the new shelves you'll make from simple painted plywood. Screening now takes the place of heavy mirrored doors to give the cabinet a beautiful, light and airy look.
Armoire to handy kitchen storage. Painted with Acadia Pear Milk Paint.  Light distressing gives this cabinet a well used appearance.
Armoire to handy kitchen storage. Painted with Acadia Pear Milk Paint. Light distressing gives this cabinet a well used appearance.
The screened doors really give this old piece a new, fresh look.
With shelves this piece could be used as anything from kitchen storage, to bookshelves, or even linen closet.
We changed up the hardware to old rustic, rusty looking handles, (although very new, bought from Lowes)
All your prettiest kitchen things can be displayed.
The shelves are made from painted plywood.
The before picture.  Don't you know someone with one of these ?
The before picture. Don't you know someone with one of these ?
Recaptured Charm

• KathyJb

If I find one like that or similar (the before) I would cheerfully redo and get rid of the island that isn't in the middle of the kitchen and is the drop off surface. I don't like drop off surfaces.

• Wendy

Who knew an old wardrobe could look so good! Love it. Does anyone know if we can buy the mesh in GB and what to ask for?

• Recaptured Charm

Hi Wendy... I know you're in the UK but just ask for 'screening' that might be all they need to know. It would be the same material you would use in your screen doors or screened windows. Hope that helps.