Shannon
Shannon
  • San Jose, CA

Painted Bookcase Before & After

There are so many options for redoing an old piece of furniture. When I decided the original wood on this bookcase needed to be painted over, I lived with the wrong(?) paint color choice for over a year, then I got it right!
painted bookcase before after after, painted furniture, shelving ideas
This is how it looked originally. Honestly, there wasn't anything wrong with it, but you know how it is . . . sometimes you just need to change things up.
This is a peek at all the colors in between, including the primer color. Before the final red color could be painted on, I had to sand extra around the doors in order for them to open and close properly, due to so much extra paint.
I am so happy with the end result!

To see more: http://saltlicklessons.com/2014/08/28/painted-bookcase-project-before-and-after-diy/

• Kathy Althoff

What color red did you use, and was it chalk paint. Thank you.
    • Shannon

Hi Kathy, Unfortunately I foolishly didn’t keep track of the paint color. I’m so sorry. It was not Chalk paint but regular wall paint and I rubbed wood stain onto the red.
  • Caroline

It's lovely. What finish did you use..if dark wax I'd like to know the alternative. Maybe a stain wash? If so could you tell me what product? Thanks

• Caroline

• Shannon

Hi Caroline,

Thank you. I didn't use wax. I used wood stain. Unfortunately, I didn't report the products in this post but I always buy Minwax. I said in the post that the color was black that doesn't seem right anymore. I know I've used dark walnut stain. I rubbed it on/off with a cloth leaving just enough color that it seemed antiqued, and let it dry. I'm so sorry I don't have the products anymore or better information. :(

• Marshmellow

I'd love to know the brand and the color. It's just what I've been looking for
    • Shannon

I'm SO sorry for this delayed response. Not writing the brand/color was the worst mistake that I regret terribly. I don't know! I only remember that I rubbed over it with a walnut stain.

• Marshmellow

Not a problem! I'm always forgetting to write things down too! Have a blessed day!