Painted Bookcase Before & After

There are so many options for redoing an old piece of furniture. When I decided the original wood on this bookcase needed to be painted over, I lived with the wrong(?) paint color choice for over a year, then I got it right!
This is how it looked originally. Honestly, there wasn't anything wrong with it, but you know how it is . . . sometimes you just need to change things up.
This is a peek at all the colors in between, including the primer color. Before the final red color could be painted on, I had to sand extra around the doors in order for them to open and close properly, due to so much extra paint.
I am so happy with the end result!

Shannon

To see more: http://saltlicklessons.com/2014/08/28/painted-bookcase-project-before-and-after-diy/

• Kathy Althoff

What color red did you use, and was it chalk paint. Thank you.
    • Shannon

Hi Kathy, Unfortunately I foolishly didn’t keep track of the paint color. I’m so sorry. It was not Chalk paint but regular wall paint and I rubbed wood stain onto the red.
  • Caroline

It's lovely. What finish did you use..if dark wax I'd like to know the alternative. Maybe a stain wash? If so could you tell me what product? Thanks

• Caroline

• Shannon

Hi Caroline,

Thank you. I didn't use wax. I used wood stain. Unfortunately, I didn't report the products in this post but I always buy Minwax. I said in the post that the color was black that doesn't seem right anymore. I know I've used dark walnut stain. I rubbed it on/off with a cloth leaving just enough color that it seemed antiqued, and let it dry. I'm so sorry I don't have the products anymore or better information. :(

• Marshmellow

I'd love to know the brand and the color. It's just what I've been looking for
    • Shannon

I'm SO sorry for this delayed response. Not writing the brand/color was the worst mistake that I regret terribly. I don't know! I only remember that I rubbed over it with a walnut stain.

• Marshmellow

Not a problem! I'm always forgetting to write things down too! Have a blessed day!