Brenda E
Brenda E
  • Woodlawn, VA
Asked on Aug 16, 2012

What kind of flower is this?

Karen KenworthyDouglas HuntBrenda E
+6

A friend of a friend, gave me a start of this, as third in line gift, I didn't get the name of it. It spreads by underground runners and is doing quite well.
What is it?
What is it?

Is that as much as the flowers open, Brenda? Do you have a detail so we can clearly see the shape of the leaf?

• Jo Justice

They are morning glories. They open in the morning and are beautiful. Lavender outside and blue in the center. I have them on my cyclone fence and I love them!

• Brenda E

Here is another photo,hopefully, clearer. I know it is not a Morning glory, the bell shaped blooms rise on stiff stem from a bunch of leaves. Simular to coral bells.

q what kind of flower is this, flowers, gardeningq what kind of flower is this, flowers, gardening
  • Sherry L

Don't know what it is but you can send me a start. I like it and can always use another vine.

• Angela A

almost looks like the blooms of a pieris temple bells, as far as shape, but thats a bush not a vine....im very curious to know now myself what this is! very pretty!

Based on the toothed leaf and the flower I would say you have "Cherry Bells," (Campanula punctata f. rubriflora "Cherry Bells") or something very similar.

• Brenda E

Thank you Douglas, you've done it again! "cherry bells" look exactly like my mystery flower.

I'm happy to have found it, Brenda.

• Karen Kenworthy

It looks like "Cherry Bells" and it is very invasive. I have it everywhere and can't get rid of it.