Marianne Songbird
Marianne Songbird
  • Netherlands

Is it okay to paint sentimental pieces? YES, it is!! Old Desk Makeover with Chalk Paint

I am the lucky recipient of an old - perhaps even antique - desk from my in-laws. The finish was old and battered and not my style. I hesitated for a long time but then I bit the bullet and gave her a makeover. Removing the top veneer first and then painting her with Chalk Paint.
Removing the veneer wasn't easy and the chalk paint gave me some issues too (leading me to write a full review of it), but I
Chalk paint gives new life to old desk
Chalk paint gives new life to old desk
It is okay to paint antique pieces, especially if you love them even more after.
Grey and white painted vintage desk detail
Removing old veneer of a desk. Not for the faint of heart.
Marianne Songbird

• Lisa House

I have looked at a few of your furniture posts, your hutch is drop dead gorgeous! I love the desk also. I enjoyed your review of AS chalk paint! I have not tried it but it seems to be , according to everyone else, to be the best of the best...I am new to furniture refinishing...my hubby says I am a horrible painter, that is why he likes to use wallpaper (he hates to paint). I use the Waverly chalk paint, I purchase at WalMart, I have not tried any other brand because I have no complaints with this product...the hubby has not voiced any opinion on my painting skills since I started using chalk paint so I guess I have improved! Thx for sharing your projects and experiences!

• Terry Foster

Mariane you did a beautiful job bringing this piece back to life! :-) I love the colors you chose and the distressing. I would like to invite you to share this piece as well as any other works of art you have created at my making broken beautiful party. It runs every Thursday through Sunday. I do hope you will come and inspire! Have a great day! Smiles! Terry thecuratorscollection.wordpress.com