My Take on a Cable-Rail Staircase

I had a vision for the staircase. I knew I didn't want a typical staircase cable-rail was on my mind so I priced it out. Yeah, that immediately vetoed the idea in my husbands mind. So, I started brainstorming and trying to think of something else that could give me the look I wanted. We do our own concrete work. Never thought he'd say yes, but I suggested it anyway. What about Rebar? He knew how much that would cost so he happily said yes. Little did he know...
Here's the staircase partially framed. My father-in-law was making the posts and handrails. I just had to figure out how to finish it off.
My In-Laws spent a couple weeks with us while we worked on the staircase. Grandpa did an excellent job. (He also built the beams for us. Decorative only, not structural).
Here's a couple shots of it together before we got it stained. I opted for carpeting up the center. The kids have destroyed that so it's about time to do something different. We had the rebar powder coated (that gets expensive BTW).
Working on getting it stained
Here's the finished product. Grandpa wanted to fill in all the cracks in the wood. I had to do some quick talking to get him to leave them alone.
Another view. it is definitely not for everyone. I'm sure some will absolutely hate it, but I'm in love. It gave me the look I wanted. Reminds me every time I see it of the many fabulous concrete projects my husband and I have worked on. He actually could of saved some money (or at least broke even) with the cable rail system but this is very true to our style and personalities. Absolutely perfect!

The Chirping Frog

• Cara

What diameter rebar did you use? What was your longest run with the rebar?

• Oak29205291

I am using Powder coated rebar for my deck rails and the angle for the stair horizontal slats is kicking my butt, what angle did you drill your holes at?
  • Nicole

How long is your rebar and what’s deminsions? How much did this cost? I’m trying to get an idea of the cabling system that’s like 1400 or rebar is cheaper

• Shawna Bailey

It's really cool hanks for sharing!

• J

My husband is going to put us some stairs and a catwalk in our cabin and he is planning on using rebar wire. I love the look and after seeing yours I want this even more. Thanks for sharing.