Repurposed Washstand Harps

18K Views
Something I have seen a lot of at auctions, yardsales, estate sales and hiding in barns and buildings I get called to pick. Wash stand harps. I'm always keeping my eyes open for ideas to create. I've seen a few things but this was by far my favourite. A lot of people have those awkward places in their house. Something needs to go there, but nothing is thin enough. Another idea, as a temporary Christmas stocking holder if you have no fireplace. Or, with a mirror, a quick little vanity check at the front door. Quite a few ideas to stem off them really. Now, I'm not saying start pulling these off of antiques. However, if you happen to find some that have lost their bottoms ..... this would be a handy piece to make with them. Fairly simple. Colour the base or leave it original if you like, find the width of the top piece of wood you want to use as a topper, stain it, wax it, paint it, clear coat it, leave it au natural, whatever your home decor calls for. Run a decent strip of adhesive along the "top" of the harp (actually the old bottom) add your piece of wood ... (keep in mind you will need to leave space behind it to accommodate for the width of your baseboards wherever you choose to home it.... ), a few nails or screws down through the wood into the harp, add some tiny L brackets for extra support if you like and you are done. These will need to be attached to your wall to ensure they don't fall over, simply just put an L bracket on the underside of the table top and and attach to your wall. If you can't find a stud, use drywall anchors. That's it. That's all! Easy Peasy!
  • repurposed washstand harps, bathroom ideas, diy, fireplaces mantels, home decor, repurposing upcycling
Here are a few ideas on how to use them. Maybe something might spark an idea for your home.
Just a random fun thing for those hallways. No toe stubbing on this cutie. No having to go around or dodge to avoid hitting your hip. Simple conversation piece.
A potential vanity behind your front door?
Another idea .. under those awkward windows that are too low for tables
Waxed tops.
I chose to wax the colour and life into my top.
An example of the original washstand harp. This is just a random image. Not the ones I used for my pieces.

Suggested materials for this project:

• Jeanette S
      Jeanette S Atlanta, GA

Love it! And I have seen tables cut in half lengthwise with almost nothing but just the legs underneath and then attached to the wall! A small plank, a band of wood on 3 sides, a couple of old spindles you find and a couple of "L" brackets and you have a table. Then add some of those glue on accents to dress it up!

• Trent-Tonya Sharp
        Trent-Tonya Sharp Franklinton, LA

OMG I love this I so have to do this