Taunnie
Taunnie
  • Sandy, UT
Asked on Aug 19, 2012

Which pattern would you choose?

Karen DunnamAnita shullJcraw
+44

I want to paint the wall behind my china hutch. I am thinking about using one of these stencils but I'm not sure which one. I would really appreciate a little help deciding :)
Stencil 1
Stencil 1
Living room, behind wall that china hitch is on but still pretty open to each other.
The other side of the dining room.
The other side of the dining room.
Stencil 2
Stencil 2
stencil 3
stencil 3
All three
All three
  • Myra @ MyBlessedLife.net

I love the paisley or the more geometric one. :)

• 3po3

The paisley (No. 1) is definitely my favorite.

• Z

I prefer the paisley too. Though I do like the iron lattice too the paisley calls to me.

• Donna R

Are you painting the wall a different color or are you stenciling over the red? Also, are you just doing one accent wall like this?

• KMS Woodworks

I like the middle one the others seem too busy for me

• Helena @ Design Wotcha!

whilst i love the geometric one - it has moroccan tendencies and that doesn't seem to sit well with the baskets and scallop detail on your hutch (which are more country inspired) so my vote would be the paisley...

• Becky E

Casting my vote for paisley.

• Taunnie

Hi Donna, I added another picture showing the rest of my dining room. It's beige. I am thinking about either painting over the red (yes, it's an accent wall) with the brown and stenciling the beige on top or maybe painting the wall beige and stenciling the brown on top. I think I'll add another picture of my living room where the brown is so it makes more sense. Anyway thanks for your help :)

• Becky (J) P

paisley first choice, lattice second. (and I don't even like Paisley!)

• Donna R

Well, I won't be much help because I can't decide between stencil 1 or 3. I like them both. I would paint the wall beige and stencil with the brown. I think it would show up better than putting a light over a dark paint. On either stencil, I'm not sure I would stencil the whole design. Maybe pick out the main design and leave off some of the smaller stencil openings around it. If that makes sense. Especially on stencil 3. I love both your dining room and your living room. Love the warm colors and how comfortable the rooms look. It would be neat if you could tie a couple pillows in your living with the chosen stencil design. I like the checked material in your dining room and that will look good with stencil 1 or 3.

• Miriam I

Geometric one. Lol, I don't think you are going to get one answer, it's a matter of taste. Which one do you love?

• Ellen H

I think the paisley looks best with your furniture and decor. My second choice is #3. I think the Moroccan one is inconsistent with your furniture style (it would also drive me crazy to look at it, but of course, that is totally irrelevant, since it's not my house, lol).

• Taunnie

Thanks for your help everyone! I asked my husband for his opinion and he said he liked the one I liked (Yes, that answer is what I like to hear LOL! But seriously, sometimes I have trouble making up my mind and would like a second opinion). Now I'm going to mix things up a little (cause sometimes I'm a pain in the behind). I took Donna's suggestion and made some samples with a beige background and brown stenciling. I'm going to put up the new pics tomorrow. Again thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help!

• Z

What a lovely home Taunnie. I'm sticking with the paisley even more so after seeing those pictures.

• Sherry R

I like Geometric one first, then paisley.

• Bernice H

Stencil no. 2, I agree, not too busy..well, now that i look at them all, I think I like the paisley better...hmmm glad this is not my problem!

• My Wonderful Walls

Did you pick? Would love to see pics of the completed room.

• Taunnie

Thanks so much for answering for me Becky :). I haven't had a chance to get online all day.

• Pam Kaiser

I love anything with paisley design. But it is so large and busy, if you use it you might want to have just a subtle change in color Maybe you need to make some samples using the colors you are planning.

• My Wonderful Walls

Thanks Becky!

• Lorre Hopkins

First one. The other two will look chopped off in the sections you'll be using them for.

• Sharon Russell

I agree with Ms. Hopkins, and also with Ellen H. I think it will compliment your room rather than distract from it. :)

• Anette Maldonado

I like the first one too :)

• Rose

Number 2 not so busy.

• Nana in Texas

I live the paisley. I'm not overly fond of geometrics in any use, and I think the top option is too busy. At least for my taste. I like the taupe and white contrast for a clean look. But it's hard to argue with whatever you AND your husband like, whichever one that is!

• Nana in Texas

Didn't realize I was answering a post that was two years old! Oops!

• Etoile Aloha

so what did you choose? Show us the results, please!

• Lisa Whitaker

stencil 2... +1 here please as hubby agrees.

• Tot1723556

Stencil #1

• Elaine

The bottom Morrocan tile look (not the Paisley even though I like Paisley prints) - just think the other is smarter in appearance.

• Linda

I like the paisley...interesting. I had the same thought for my hutch. I used an art deco style cotton fabric that I just starched on with liquid starch. When I get tired of it,I can just peel it off wash and do it all over again. Love the paisley.

• Judy Verble Gafford

I like the more simple pattern of Stencil 2

• Bernadette Staal

I love number 2 - number one is too busy. 2 also allows you the option of colouring in some of the shapes adding additional contrast.

• Nancy

I like number 2. At first I started out with liking number 1, but with further thought, choose 2. It seems to go better with the less " frill" look.

• Rose

#2

• Susieq

Definitely the paisley!!!

• Christy bellinger

I like the second one.

• Candy Walsh

I love the paisley, but the Morrocan (#2), would definitely be easier. But either one would look great! Good luck!

• Suellen Hintz

Without a doubt, paisley.

• Karol

With the morrocan tile look, you will not be happy. I see that the wall is a different color than the other walls and I am imaginig the hutch with this pattern over the front of the red background. You would need to paint the grout of the tile with a darker color so the hutch stands out, if you paint with the grout as white, it will fight with the cabinet. If you like the cabinet and the red wall and want to put white accent or even cream, I suggest going with #1. DEFINETLY NOT the paisley.

• B. Enne

#2

• Pam Lewandowski

OOHHHH!!!! The paisley is gorgeous!!

• Lori

Definitely the Paisley!

• Jcraw

I love paisley, but in this case, the tile. You have such great accessories that I would be concerned that paisley is too busy, fighting with your stuff.

• Anita shull

I like the simplicity of the middle sample I would call lattice. Believe it would be easy to work with as far as any other decorative print anywhere else in the vicinity as long as cokes match or complement each other having said that , your own opinion matters the most and you have wisely put lsrge enough samples on the wall so you canapé d much time observing in different light , etc to help you know on Your heart which one speaks to you. Good luck and don''t forget to show what the final decision Ed and the finished product

• Karen Dunnam

Did you know -- you can "photoshop" it and get a better idea of how it will look. There are applications similar to PhotoShop that will allow you to grab a copy of the stencil and place on a picture of the room. Saves a lot of painting time and second-guessing. HTH