Roberts Architects ltd
Roberts Architects ltd
  • Evanston, IL
Asked on Aug 19, 2012

Moon Garden ideas

JayRoberts Architects ltdLaz197389
+16

? I'm looking for more plants and ideas to develop a Moon Garden. I'd welcome the thoughts of other Moon Gardeners
  • Walter Reeves

I've been admiring the pure white flowers of my moonvine (aka moon flower vine) this week. I need to go out at dusk and spot the big moths that are attracted to it.

• Miriam I

How beautiful! Those silvery wings are something. Thank you for sharing.

They don't last for that long, but there is nothing like casa blanca lilies when the moon hits them. And I would certainly include white Nicotiana (Nicotiana alata).

• Teresa D

What is that? I thought it was a humming bird but when you zoomed in, it looked more like a bug. Is it as big as it appears on the video?

• Roberts Architects ltd

This is a Sphinx Moth, and its as large as a hummingbird

• Lisa I

Whoa it's huge!!! I've never heard of a moon garden before, what a cool idea. Moths are just as pretty as butterflies!

• Roberts Architects ltd

This is a Moon Flower as it uncurls before sunset, the fragrance is wonderful, especially when several open in the same evening.

• Miriam I

That is unbelievable!

• TJ

thanks for the video of the Sphinx Moth. In my mid Minnesota 4b garden, I only catch glimpses of them out of the corner of my eye. I'm also amazed at your photo of the Moon Flower uncurling. I grows these as often as I can but here they need an early start to really get good growth. The smell is heavenly!!!!

• TJ

Forgot to add to my post that my moon or white garden has areas of part sun to part shade. I grow a lot of native white flowered plants such as white prairie clover, bloodroot, and trillium. The plant that gets the most butterfly and bird attention is a tall white milkweed. I can't remember the botanical name off the top of my head. I will be adding purple Swamp Milkweed this year. I finally added old fashioned Nicotiana which has the flagrance and attracts hummingbirds. When I started gardening, I couldn't figure out why everyone commented on the fragrance when the short nursery types didn't smell at all, in my opinion.

• Roberts Architects ltd

Glad you mentioned Nicotiana, I'm going to add that to the Moon Garden this year. Any advice?

• TJ

hi "Robert Architects" (are you Robert?) Yes, on Nicotiana ---- make sure you get one of the "old-fashioned" scented variety. For years I didn't think they had much fragrance. Then.... I planted the big-leaved, old-fashioned, 24" approx., kind. Brought in the hummingbirds during the day then evening the blooms send out a terrific fragrance to entice the Luna moths.

• Roberts Architects ltd

Roberts ! thanks for the advice, i'm still searching for the plants/seeds

• Eva

Nice video and I loved the moon flower photo. My house/garden is full of moths this time of the year (It´s winter here in brazil) and they come into the house at night as we leave the doors open until we go to bed. And I´ve never heard of a moon garden before but it looks like a great idea.

• TJ

did you get enough ideas for your moon garden? If not, I can get some pictures of some of my plants and post them.

• Roberts Architects ltd

I never have enough gardening ideas, please send a few photos

• Laz197389

If you want more flowers that open at dusk, try a gourd [vine]. Beautiful flowers, plus the benefit of growing gourds. Be aware that the vine will cover a lot of territory. Great to grow on a wire fence or make a teepee frame and it'll cover it in no time.

• Roberts Architects ltd

thx for this nice idea! I hadn't considered that family of plants.

• Jay

Great video! loved it!