Alyssa @ Clever Nest
Alyssa @ Clever Nest
  • Orange, CA

Repainting Bathroom Cabinets- Quick and EASY

This was one of the fastest mini makeover's ever- repainting the old bathroom cabinets white for a fresh updated look. I used Primer and Sealer, which doesn't require sanding first. I wish I had tried it sooner!
repainting bathroom cabinets quick and easy, bathroom ideas, cabinets, painting
repainting bathroom cabinets quick and easy, bathroom ideas, kitchen cabinets, painting
Flaking varnish, water damage, and paint smudges. Gotta go!
Before and After- bathroom cabinet repaint
I used Primer and Sealer, it doesn't require sanding beforehand, so easy. (I ended up sanding mine a bit where the varnish was flaking off and the wood was uneven.)
After!
After!
Alyssa @ Clever Nest

• Ellen

Instead of replacing the counter top can I sand and refinish? It's an all one counter top. Don't want to spend a fortune but need to update.

• Bonnie Morris

I have done this before. I fine sanded the formica, used an oil base primer, and then used several coats of an oil base paint. I would never use this in a kitchen but in a bathroom, it did work. It is just not as durable as the regular formica.

• Heather Werthmuller Voges

What color are the walls? I just love the green?

• Guy

What kind of paint roller did you use? I want to avoid the stipple that some rollers leave and brush strokes that paint brushes leave.

• Shawna Bailey

I was wondering too.

• B. Enne

Idk what the poster used, but I've used high density foam rollers many times on cabinets. Just make sure to not overload them or you will get lines on the side. I usually remove some of the excess on the ribbed part of the paint tray.

• Guy

Thank you, Shawna. I recently painted a wall with chalk paint and used a short nap roller. It came out a little bumpy, fine for appearance, but not as smooth as I'd like for a chalkboard. I think I'll sand it down and give it another coat with a foam roller. Thanks for your tip!

• Jeannie.mcquaid

I've painted bathroom cabinets with melamine paint. Yes it smells and yes it takes longer to dry, but it flattens out to a smooth gloss finish that is next to indestructible. Used it on kitchen cabinets too.

• John Westover

Like B. Enne said, use high density foam rollers. I found that if you roll almost "dry" and do 2-3 coats you get a smoother surface.

• B. Enne

You're welcome Guy. B. Enne

• Patti

How did you take off the laminate from the front of the cabinet doors?

• Shawna Bailey

She didn't, he sanded where the varnish was loose and painted right over the existing cabinets.

• Joy18509372

Valspar has a great primer that adhears to every thing. I accidently dropped a drop on my no wax linoleum about 1/8 of an inch in diameter and I'll be darned if I can get it off.
  • Bdc7524389

I love the colour of the walls too and would love like to know what color and brand you used.

• Tanyabryan0201

What brand of paint& primer did you use ?! looks great ! Thx!
  • Melissa

How many coats of paint are needed?

• Adrienne Falleroni-Kuny

It's something I would like to try. You made it look easy. How long did this project take from start to finish??

• Mar20824691

WGERE DO YOU GET PRIMER AND SEALER?

• Deb

Where is your supply list?

• Janelle Rose

So my cabinets are in pretty good shape and smooth. What kind of primer should I use?