Stone Top Cabinet ~ A Boring Cabinet Transformation

My husband had his doubts when I told him my plan for this boring cabinet, funny thing is he end up getting as excited as I was about the transformation and ended up doing a lot of the work…
deck storage cabinet, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
Bought this cabinet to use for concealed storage on our covered deck ~ not real attractive but the perfect size for the space ~ easy fix
We framed out the top caulking around the inside edges to seal, filled it with washed pea gravel (cheap) and used a liquid epoxy to fill in the voids around the stones creating an almost smooth/level top
Love how the epoxy brings out the color in the stones plus it's waterproof & durable!
This was the product we used ~ not difficult to do you just make sure your surface is level and work quickly!
Spray painted the body & doors added casters to make it mobile & cleaned up and reused the existing hardware
Love how it turned out!

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/dianasdiyden

• Phillipcardjr

The top looks great. What an improvement to the plain cabinet. How has the epoxy held up over time...and use?

• Diana Wearing

@Phillipcardjr Thanks! It’s holding up great! We’ve had it out on our covered deck for 4 years and it still looks exactly like it did when we made it:-)

• Pan10233358

What type of caulk did you use? Did you have make sure it was compatible with the epoxy product?

• Diana Wearing

As I recall we just used a bathroom/kitchen type tub & tile caulk – it worked fine :-)

• Penny Curran

That is gorgeous ... Can you use this method outside for a feature spot as in a walkway ?
    • Diana Wearing

Thank you! I know epoxy resin is marketed as being extremely durable and is used in all sorts of applications including floors, bar tops & countertops. Not sure how it would hold up exposed to the elements outside…you might want to research it a bit first, I’m guessing there are different types for different applications.

• Ruth

How much did this cost? (I'm thinking it would make a great countertop, if not too many $$$$.

• Diana Wearing

A countertop would be cool! Pea gravel is cheap and I think I paid around $20 for the epoxy kit…it’s cheaper (but not cheap) in a larger quantity/volume.

• Patty

Does the epoxy hold up under humid conditions, or does it get tacky?

• Diana Wearing

I’ve had this cabinet outside on a covered deck for 6 years now and have had no issues at all with heat or humidity causing tackiness , once the epoxy is dried and cured its rock solid.

• Patty

Thanks so much! I found a little wicker nightstand ("curb shopping" 😊), and the top was beyond repair. So I pried the whole thing off, but couldn't come up with any good ideas because of the structural pieces underneath. With your idea, I can just paint them and work around them. It will be in an outdoor enclosure, so I wanted to make sure that the epoxy doesn't get sticky under humid conditions. Did you mention the brand you used?

• Patty

I just saw your photo of the product. Never mind! (I was awake in the middle of the night thinking about my dilemma when I saw your solution, and didn't recall that photo). Thanks again! Patty

• Sandra

Can this be done on counter tops in the kitchen. IF someone put something hot, like a pot, on it will it melt? And does clean it up with with soap and water well? I love that look and I think it might look great in my new kitchen.

• Diana Wearing

It cleans up well but I’m not sure how it would hold up on a kitchen counter the cabinet I have it on doesn’t get constant use you may end up with cuts, heat rings etc. I would consult a profession and see what they can tell you.

• Sylvia

Hello Diana!

Loved your cabinet overall!

Can you Please tell me the type of Paint and color you used on the Cabinet body?

• Diana Wearing

Thank you! I think I used a Rustoleum spray paint on this possibly London Gray or but I’m not 100% sure-sorry!

• Edd23943432

Wow the end result looks amazing! It gives me an idea of transforming my boring shoe storage cabinet and there are just too many options on what are the best items to put inside instead of just pebbles. I think pennies or even seashells make great alternative options to decorate the top and it just allows for some creativity.
  • Patty

So I finally got my stuff together and tried this project on a 2 drawer wicker cabinet/nightstand. I really like it, but I wasn't careful enough about getting the gravel level, so it's a little bumpy in places. Also, it ended up being fairly expensive, taking a full gallon of resin. I had no idea how much would be required so I was buying it by the quart, at $25 each. I probably could have saved some money if I had known, and bought a full gallon. That's green "sea glass" scattered across the top of the gravel. A fun project, except for the cost of the resin.