Nicole Y
Nicole Y
  • Palmyra, PA
Asked on Aug 19, 2012

Does anyone have any remedies for keeping deer out of a veggie garden?

Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comDouglas HuntPhil Bauman
+2

Other than shooting it, Someone has told me moth balls, but they aren't sure if it actually works. Wondering what people have actually tried that work...next year I'm definately getting a taller fence!
  • Glenita

My father in law used to have me save the hair clippings from my sons hair cuts and he would put it in the garden . He swore that they could smell the scent of them and would not get in the garden . Plus it is good mulch for the garden. I guess it worked well he always had a good garden.

• Miriam I

I read -don't laugh- moth balls in women's short stockings hung from trees on the perimeter. It's a pro landscaper who wrote it, so it sounds pretty credible... Here is that thread; http://www.hometalk.com/136254/what-can-keep-deer-from-eating-plants-and-trees

• Phil Bauman

I like both those ideas, also We tried putting up strings around the parimeter of the garden 2 deep and then ran criss-cross strings between posts, this definitely kept out the deers, but didn't keep out racoons or ground hogs.

Scent deterrents may work temporarily. The only real barrier is a tall fence.

• Fence height is not always the answer. If you place PVC poles at a 45 degree angle. Drill small holes in them about 2 foot apart. Then thread copper coated fence wire that you can purchase at tractor supply through them. Install a electrical fence system used to keep horses and cows in. You will prevent them from getting through. You will need to hang some cloth on the wires so the deer will see the wires at first. But after a while they learn not to touch or run into the fence. The reason why to angle the fence is that deer jump high but not far. they sort of hop. They cannot clear distance but can jump many feet into the air. By placing the fence at an angle they will not be able to jump over because of the amount of width they need to cover to be successful. The spaces between the poles can be 20 or more feet, you just need to keep the wire taught and prevent it from grounding out on the soil. If you place one or two near the ground, you will prevent most small critters from getting past as once their nose hits the wire they are gone.