Amy Superdeluxe
Amy Superdeluxe
  • Orchard Park, NY

$4.39 Mudroom Makeover

$4.39

My husband and I recently moved into a 175 year old historic home and the entry way had seen better days... the painted hardwood floor was chipped and beat up pretty bad. The homeowners left several gallons of paint in the basement so I grabbed two gallons of porch and floor paint, bought a roll of blue painters tape ($4.39) and got busy :)
flooring painted diamond pattern foyers budget, diy, foyer, painting
Amazing what the price of one roll of blue painters tape (and 12 hours and 5-7 years off the life of my back and knees lol) can do for a room! If you happen to have painted hardwood floors (or hardwoods that are in really bad shape), I wouldn't hesitate to try something bold!!
Here is a "before" shot.... taken shortly after we moved in. One of the highlights of this home are the incredible moldings and casings. But in many of the rooms, the walls and trim are painted the same (or nearly the same) color, so nothing really stood out.
Another "before" view. This room faces east and gets fantastic light most of the day. The chipped gray paint was doing the floors no favors. Shortly after these photos were taken, we painted the mudroom Wethersfield Moss by Benjamin Moore (historical collection).
Here's a before shot of the empty room... long and narrow. And blah.
Here is the first coat of paint going down. SO much brighter and fresher.
And after the first coat. Improvement already! And Piper agreed :) But despite the freshness, it looked, well, BORING. I knew this could be a really great entry....
So I enlisted the help of the Mr. (and his awesome math skills) and we snapped chalk lines to create 18" diamonds. I began the (tedious) task of taping off every other diamond, painted and let dry, and then going back for the remaining diamonds.
Here's an "in between" shot. I was sure to remove the tape right after painting since I have a love hate relationship with it!
Harlequin pattern complete!! Love the life that was brought to these boring gray floors!
I would say we were VERY fortunate that the paint cans in the basement were colors that worked so beautifully in this room.
And a last shot. I recently bought some fall branches to use in the vase and will continue to update it as the seasons change. I couldn't be more pleased with the way it all came together :)

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tales-of-The-Big-White-House/769974136358797

• Juju, the Anti-Gardener

I've wanted to do this in my foyer too, which is beyond boring. I did a harlequin wall and almost went nuts trying to get the lines even. Any tricks? I love it BTW

• Amy Superdeluxe

Thank you!!! Clean tapes lines are the key... it's sooooo time consuming but so worth it!

• Linda Sikut

Hey Amy, we're neighbors - sort of - I'm in the village/town next to you! You also mentioned snapping a chalk line and I suspect that helped.

• Liz3103099

Is it in sell still

• Jennifer Rojas Dunn

beautiful! where is your entryway table from?

• Amy Superdeluxe

I got it on a unfinished furniture website about 10 years ago... not very helpful I know lol!!

• Erika

What color did you use on the walls? Thank you!

• Daniela

Where did you buy the fall branches? love them!

• Deana

The entryway is beautiful. Where did you get the large glass vase?

• Amy Superdeluxe

Hi Deana! I purchased it at Pier 1 on clearance, score!!! :) And Thank you!

• MDB

Did you prime or protect the floor in any way to prevent chipping, like from Piper's nails?

• Amy Superdeluxe

I did not prime, nor protect... And it shows. I am actually planning on touching it all up and sealing with clear poly!

• Tabatha Bedell

Have u done a darker color. I have dark wood everywhere in my old home and it's just so hard to refinish them and time consuming. I also.have some spots that will.probably need replaced.

• Amy Superdeluxe

I have not Tabitha... but there are tons of posts online about painting floors all sorts of colors. Good luck!!!

• Diane Schule

What are the colors on the floor, the ones left so fortuitously in the basement? Everything just goes together so well.

• Amy Superdeluxe

Yes Diane!!! Can you believe it? I'm not sure I could have selected better colors if I tried lol!!

• Dianna

Wethersfield Moss by Benjamin Moore Is one of them

• Diane Schule

But what are names of the colors on the floor that I love so much?

• Dianna

• Mary DiPierro

on the floor is the moss? i thought that was the wall colour?!?! LOVE LOVE the pattern & colours!! I have an entryway that STILL has the ply wood only because I could not make up my mind what to do with it NOW i do....................OH PS soooo feel your pain on the shoe string budget for the house.......although I must say it does bring out the "artist" in me!! LOL

• Erin McKellips Teply

What's the wall color?

• Rachel Barcelos

Where did you get the glass vase and the white flowers?

• Amy Superdeluxe

The white flowers are from Pier 1 and I believe I got the vase on clearance at Marshalls or the like?

• Mary

Did you put anything over the paint to preserve it? (Something like polyurethane?)

• Denahensley

Can u paint over tile floor?

• Shelby

Do you know what kind of flowers are pictured in the vase?

• Shawna Bailey

I'd like to know too

• Amy Superdeluxe

I bought them at Pier One ... not sure what they are exactly called lol!

• Darrel Rose

I would like to know too, but I guess I will copy your pic and put it on my smartphone and get something similar or as close as I can get it Incidently are those fall bushes real or silk?
  • Joh21600489

Hi.....where is that console table from?....thanks

• Amy Superdeluxe

Hi! I bought it about 15 years ago from an online unfinished furniture store... they have since gone out of business :(

• Lynda Britz

Yes, very attractive . But since not all of us have $100 worth of paint available for free, maybe it is not right to bill this as costing $5, just the tape cost?

• Amy Superdeluxe

True, but the materials for the project still come in under $70 or so if you had to buy 2 gallons of paint. Big impact for not much money..

• Theresa Capp Hoffman High

2 qts would do that small space it can be done under $30. And get the paint at home depot. Don't waste your money with Benny Moore or Sherwin Williams.

• Darrel Rose

I agree with Theresa Capp Hoffman High you could of saved more money but all in all this floor looks good
  • Darrel Rose

Are those fall branches real or silk
  • Zy

What are the branches called
  • Jeanne

Floors are gorgeous ! Love the wall color also ......do you recall the color ?
  • Sherri Holmes

Great job on the floor! But your photo popped up while searching for console dec ideas. I see a few are interested in your branches. As I was, love them and looked all over the place trying to find branches that resembled yours. You mentioned you got the branches at Pier 1. I finally found them. They are called "Wild wax flower spray" For the folks inquiring.
  • Jda22325495

Absolutely beautiful! Two questions please: 1) what type of paint: eggshell, semi-gloss, etc.? 2) Did you seal the paint? I would imagine traffic is high in this area and extra protection would be necessary.
    Thanks for submitting this ~ I am ready to try this in my boring foyer!
    • Jda22325495

Sorry ignore the sealing question, see now that you have already answered it!
  • Bonnie

How did you get the board lines out of the last picture...it looks like tile instead of painted boards.
  • Mary Beth Callery Greene

Where did you get the clear glass vase?

• Chani Neumann

Amazing! Where did you buy the console table.

• Amy Superdeluxe

Thanks Chani! Unfortunately, I bought the table over 12 years ago from an unfinished furniture site. I believe they are no longer in business..
  • Dra33771962

What is the name of the flowers used?

• Amy Superdeluxe

Hi there! I bought the flowers at Pier 1. Don’t know what they are called but they still currently sell them!

• Susan

What brand and color of paint were used in the walls?