Jane Jones
Jane Jones
  • Newtown Square, PA

How do you attach old door knobs to wood to make a coat rack?

S BurrisMagnoliaMamaSusan Smith
+11

Is there a special nut to use on the old door knob spindle?
  • Barbara

Just screw them onto the board through the holes that are already there. It may help to predrill.

• Jane Eddy

A lock nut will help with not having to retighten them all the time from the weight of the coats hanging

• MagnoliaMama

I am guessing that you are using the old knobs that have a square spindle. If so, then go ahead and drill round holes (the smallest ones you can push your spindles through). After you push them through, fill the gaps from the back with either JB Weld, clear silicone, or another product that really grabs and won't let go. Cover the back of the piece with decorative paper or something that hides all the "mechanics" to avoid scratching your wall.

• Jane Jones

Thanks I thought that was the one{0r two}. By the way someone suggested the hardware you can buy on line, but it does not fit the door knob.

• Judy J

We drilled a hole in the window wood.Then used a cotter pin to hold the knob at the back.There is already a hole in the knob shaft.

• Jane Jones

I will try it. I am having a hard time finding one that will fit since the spindle is not really round. Do you have a picture ? Or a size? Thanks for your help.

• Jane Jones

See above. I need a clarification about a response

• Susan Smith

My husband made one for me and could not find the spindles to fit, so he also used JB Weld with large screws, let it set and pre-drilled the holes in the wood with a smaller drill bit than the size of the screws and screwed them into the wood. I have not had any problems at all with mine and they hold heavy winter jackets.

• MagnoliaMama

Using a cotter pin is a great idea because it would stick out beyond the spindle, preventing the doorknob from pulling back out from the front. Anything (even a brad or nail) that would fit through the tiny holes in the spindles would work, as long as it is wider than the drilled hole.Do fill the excess space in the drilled holes with something that hardens (the JB Weld) so that your knobs won't be wobbly. Good luck!

• S Burris

There is a store on ebay that stocks the part you are lookinf for. Copy the following URL into your internet exployer browser. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350744632700?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

how to attach door knobs wood coat rack, diy, how to, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projectshow to attach door knobs wood coat rack, diy, how to, repurposing upcycling, woodworking projects