My Craigslist Reclamations

This desk I got for free on Craigslist. It was solid wood, American made (circa 1969) but was a dark fir. I was unemployed at the time, and that's when I started "Roadside Rescue" - there was so much wonderful old (but not necessarily antique) furniture being dragged to the curb. I only did it for a couple of months before I was rearended and my Ford Explorer and right shoulder were kaput. I got recycled or salvage paint (free) from the City of Surrey. I didn't charge much at all, but it kept me busy, kept great items out of the landfill and helped keep groceries in the house until I went back to work. It was sold within an hour of my posting these photos on Craigslist
painted furniture craigslist reclamations, painted furniture
I used the Vaseline method on pieces like this that I wanted heavily distressed.
This lovely retro dresser was hideous when I pulled it off the top of a heap of curbside furniture waiting for the garbage truck. There had been a posting in Craigslist free, but no photos (I probably wouldn't spent all the gas money I did if I had seen it first.. It was ugly aged honey colour and the handles were uninspiring brass. But I love how it turned out, and even though I think I lost money (I had to buy this combination of paints - but I had a vision) and delivered it for free, it went to a woman on fixed income who grew up in this era and truly loved it. And it was saved from the landfill!
I picked up a couple of freebie captain's chairs off Craigslist and married one with the desk. I was so pleased with this combination. It was a gift from a young man to his fiancée, who had just been accepted to law school. He had an office set up for her by the time she got home from her then minimum-wage job.
This lovely retro dresser was hideous when I pulled it off the top of a heap of curbside furniture waiting for the garbage truck. There had been a posting in Craigslist free, but no photos (I probably wouldn't spent all the gas money I did if I had seen it first.. It was ugly aged honey colour and the handles were uninspiring brass. But I love how it turned out, and even though I think I lost money (I had to buy this combination of paints - but I had a vision) and delivered it for free, it went to a woman on fixed income who grew up in this era and truly loved it. And it was saved from the landfill
I actually have a before-and-after photos of this little side table. It was just depressingly dated. The top was worn and had water rings.
Sorry about the lighting, but I wanted to show you the curved bottom drawer. It was what made me decide to haul it off the heap and bring it home. Well, that and the chevron hardware. And the little unmentionables drawers in the middle - so sweet.
I live in a seaside community, so nautical colours figure prominently - whites, sand and teal, aqua... Again, heavily distressed. I saw this becoming a deck table so it had several coats of poly and then a final beeswax.
The 2nd of the captain's chairs. These are the great 1970's/80's solid maple that populate curbs and thrift shops galore. They are from a time not so long ago when everything felt sturdier.
This lovely coffee table is one of my favorites. A Craigslist freebie (although I spent about $10 in gas to get this and another table), it was ugly dated honey colour and the metal rim was a tarnished brass (but not pretty tarnished). I put away the Vaseline and paint brush splurged on spray paint for this little sweetie.
It is very solidly made and the details are scrumptious.
The punched metal heart trim looks a million times better in white (but most things do IMHO)
I picked up a little cherry coffee side table. They weren't an identical match but after a French country white paint job they easily sold together as a set.

Adventures In Junking

• Adventures In Junking

@Gerry rust - thank you so much. Your kind words are greatly appreciated!

• Joy.schottenloher

Ok. Question.....where did you put all your master pieces. I am moving to Ohio in July and if you have some or just plain too many...I would love to take them off your hands. Hahaha. Don't you just love dumpster diving.... I wish I had a salvage store..lol. But now I am to old to do this but I love looking at the ones ya all do.