Katrina R
Katrina R
  • Brockport, NY
Asked on Aug 22, 2012

Help. Does anyone know what this plant is?

Sue KieneToni TeagueJean Adams
+8

It's flowers are yellow with four petals, and the leaves are similar to dandelions in appearance. This plant blooms only at night and each blossom lasts only one night.
the leaves and buds
the leaves and buds
overall of plant form
overall of plant form
close up of flower.
close up of flower.
help does anyone know what this plant is, flowers, gardening

It looks like evening primrose (Oenothera albicaulis).

• Katrina R

Yes! Thank you Doug! I googled your information and it seems to match the prairie evening primrose. I will be bringing it in for sure when the temp. starts to drop.I don't think a desert plant would be too happy in my NY snow.

They're usually an annual, Katrina, so it may not make it through the winter even if you bring it in.

• Katrina R

oh no, can I try to keep seeds from it?

You can. That's how it works in nature!

• Katrina R

Thanks Doug, I'll give it a try.

• Freda

It sounds like a Moon Flower. They bloom only at night and last only one night per bloom.

• Joanne Menke

We also call them Moon Flower, and they winter over with no problem in Rochester, NY... fun to watch the flower start to shake and pop open within a minute right about dusk! I video taped it happening and it is very cool!

• Jean Adams

The lady who gave me one said it was mentioned in the Bible, but where? I cannot find it. Thanx

• Toni Teague

Although these are considered annuals they are what are know as self seeding plants, The seeds that fall to the ground will plant themselves in the soil and bring you new plants for the following year. Please use caution when cleaning up your fall foliage and leave the clean up to the folling spring or your might remove all of your self sown seeds.

• Sue Kiene

They do not reseed themselves in all locations. I live near the Ohio Michigan border and we have to treat them like annuals. If you want them next year you have to take one of the seed pods in and plant them again in the spring.