I need to add something... WHAT?

+102
I need to add something above this bed, but NOT a mirror. Any suggestions.
The room is a neutral guest room ~ nothing too personal.
See the original post: http://www.stonegableblog.com/2012/08/a-look-at-my-latest-project.html
q i need to add something what, bedroom ideas, home decor
  • TheKimSixFix TheKimSixFix on Aug 23, 2012
    How about plates? Plain ones? You have lots of square art on the walls.. the round shape of a plate would be good with the arched headboard and is not overly personal.
  • Sharron W Sharron W on Aug 23, 2012
    A couple of my favorites!
  • Frances S Frances S on Aug 23, 2012
    More pillows...lol just kidding.
  • Jeanette S Jeanette S on Aug 23, 2012
    There are so many metal decorating pieces out there, i would chose one that takes up about 2/3 of the width or a series of smaller ones. They come in all sorts of designs and some of them have a bit of color...some neutral and some with a splash. Your choice!
  • Marg C Marg C on Aug 23, 2012
    I like Sharrons first design :)
  • Ellen H Ellen H on Aug 23, 2012
    I like TheMoney-Pit's idea of plates, with a twist - look at chargers. I'm sure you could find a finish and design that would look great in a bedroom. Many of them are purely decorative and impractical for table setting anyway.
  • Maria  D. M Maria D. M on Aug 23, 2012
    COLOR
    ...not too big.
  • I think the plate idea is fantastic!
  • Ann Lucas Ann Lucas on Aug 23, 2012
    I think some unusual farm implements would be a good choice. Like the ones you found in an earlier post. surround these by unique mir
  • Donna R Donna R on Aug 23, 2012
    I like Sharron's and Ellen's suggestions.
  • Lisa Pennington Lisa Pennington on Aug 23, 2012
    I love Ann's suggestion. I word would also look nice, something large and graphic but still not adding too much color or distraction. I have a sign over my bed and I love it. It's definitely hard to know what to put over a beautiful headboard.
  • Marcia Marcia on Aug 23, 2012
    I think the room needs some color. I'd consider painting the walls a Federal Blue,or perhaps a pale green. Stenciling would look nice,too. Maybe a vase of flowers or a plant onthe side table.
  • StoneGable StoneGable on Aug 23, 2012
    What great ideas! Keep them coming! Thanks everyone!
  • TheOldPostRoad T TheOldPostRoad T on Aug 23, 2012
    I like color. Too much. But a quick fix, if the neutral has you bored, would be to switch out the front two pillows for something with some color. I can't see the colors in the duvet very well, but maybe an orange or citreon or green or aqua trellis pattern? I might stick with one punch of color (don't use all four colors!) Love your lamp shades! And that cute table!
  • Carroll A Carroll A on Aug 23, 2012
    I will be the odd man or women out here, for me sometimes less is more. I like the room as it is. I don't think I would add anything. The bed is beautiful you might draw attention away from the posts if you has something hanging between them.
    Just found these neutral bedrooms that have one punch of color.
    if u want u could still keep it neutral perhaps a darker beige? not too dark.
  • Vivian S Vivian S on Aug 23, 2012
    I do like it the way it is, but if you think something is needed above the bed, I keep envisioning something large, oval, and ornate. I can't get the idea of cast iron out of my head but that is bound to be too heavy. Here is an image but I don't know how it can be more appropriate as wall art: http://www.touchofeurope.net/20511/Rusty-Black-Finish-Cast-Iron-Oval-Doormat.html
  • Sharon E. Hines Sharon E. Hines on Aug 23, 2012
    you could also hang something above each night stand and leave the space above the bed open. The room is very pretty. Love the wall color!
  • a few silhouettes would look fabulous! or an architectural element of some sort
  • Danielle B Danielle B on Aug 23, 2012
    I would either add a short guest inspired quote or a great twig wreath. I like the neutral and see an earth element adding texture here.
  • Taunnie Taunnie on Aug 23, 2012
    Maybe a big basket like a a tabacco basket, or a grouping of little basket bowls.
  • Sharron W Sharron W on Aug 23, 2012
    Wow Vivian that's Pretty! But if it fell off onto a sleeping person, it might be time for a dirt nap...so maybe not cast iron...LOL I'm still digging the toilet paper roll art....
  • Surfin Cindy Surfin Cindy on Aug 24, 2012
    Mosquito netting???? Would make it romantic.....
  • Marg C Marg C on Aug 24, 2012
    these are all great ideas!
  • Lori J Lori J on Aug 24, 2012
    What about a collection of thrift frames sprayed in a single color? I am seeing these frames, sans art or photos, used artfully all over the place. It would break up the space without being too personal.
  • Lorrie B Lorrie B on Aug 24, 2012
    What about a big old advertising sign, or new sign made to look old, maybe a bed and breakfast... just thinking
  • Ellen H Ellen H on Aug 24, 2012
    Lorrie's idea is great- Stone Gable B & B or Stone Gable Welcomes You, etc. Actually it could be new or old - as rustic or sophisticated as you want.
  • Pam C Pam C on Aug 24, 2012
    a beautiful red pillow on the bed
  • Ally Ally on Aug 24, 2012
    I agree about the silhouettes. They would go beautifully with the style of your room, and maybe do them in a pop of color.
  • Sally Sally on Aug 24, 2012
    Antique looking plates would look nice. Brown toile designs or a mix of designs in a grouping of 3 or 5 would be my vote.
  • Laura K Laura K on Aug 24, 2012
    I think a grouping of botanical prints, (maybe framed in distressed barn wood) would add a touch of the outdoors to the room.
  • The bed in our Master BR is curved just like that! I hung an oval tray in the middle and a plate on either side of it a little lower. Your room is beautiful! Have fun!
  • Kay C Kay C on Aug 25, 2012
    I would add some ivory paint and paint the bed use gold to edge it up on there and some white lampshades as well then white table then a few pink and mint pillows or coverlet..add some color
  • StoneGable StoneGable on Aug 25, 2012
    Many great idea... thanks! I'll make sure to show you when I decide!
  • Patricia B Patricia B on Aug 25, 2012
    How about stenciling a welcoming statement or one of the available stick-ons from a local craft store with a sentiment (in a neutral color).
  • A black and white photo would look great there.
  • Other than the usual painting, etc. I love to use architectural items...have you thought about using some great tin ceiling tiles...you can use old or new..and then paint them whatever color you choose...
  • Debi M Debi M on Aug 25, 2012
    Have you considered using one of the many wooden decorative signs? I have one in my b/r that states "We may not have it all together, but together we have it all" Not overly personal, but sums up how our lives are. There is one in my den that ways Welcome to my pity party. There are many cute ones available
  • Becky Becky on May 22, 2013
    I made picture out of old shoe box lids and hung them with clear head thumb tacks. It depends on your style.. I used scrap booking paper, but you can download any image and print it out, then glue on.
  • PAULA LOVELL PAULA LOVELL on May 22, 2013
    Since it's a guest room, what about a wall decal that says something like "Mi casa es su casa".
  • Sheryll S Sheryll S on May 23, 2013
    I would move the framed art from the wall on the right and add more to a larger scale on top of the bed. And maybe add a bit of bright color... needs a pop of color to my thnking. I hope you find the perfect touch that makes you happy.
  • Roberta Alessi Roberta Alessi on Jul 03, 2013
    How about a print that has the bed cover colors in it...OR a black frame with large object in the middle such as a very large key or metal cutout.
  • Nancy Hatcher Nancy Hatcher on Jul 03, 2013
    Looks to me like it needs a pop of color too. If it were mine I'd add some pillows or picture that picks up what looks to me like a reddish color in the spread.
  • Caroline Caroline on Jul 03, 2013
    I would just add some color and forget about putting something over the bed.