Amy Superdeluxe
Amy Superdeluxe
  • Orchard Park, NY

Our DIY Kitchen Makeover (for Under $650)!

$640
3 Weeks

Since moving into our 175 year old house in August, we have been busy tackling projects and making the house our own.... ON A BUDGET. Luckily the Mr. is a super talented guy and can execute the ideas that pop into my head (and I can hold my own with a paintbrush)!
The bulk of our money went to the new lantern and faucet... the rest on good, quality paints/stains and materials for the countertops.
diy kitchen makeover budget, diy, home improvement, kitchen cabinets, kitchen design, painting
Our kitchen after: We feel like the simplistic design brought it back to its classic, traditional roots.
Before: Clearly the previous owner was going for a Tuscan type look- apple green glazed cabinets, school bus yellow sponge painted walls and a wood countertop that had been neglected for years.
A beautiful focal point of this kitchen: The large stone fireplace. Again, the Tuscan theme wasn't working for us in here.
Mantle and trim painted out white, and I made this large sign for above it using the name of the barn just behind our house to personalize it :) It's hard to get from pictures the scale of this fireplace, but the mantle sits at about 5 1/2 ft tall, and the sign is over 3ft x 4ft..
So long green cabinets and disgusting tile countertops and backsplash....
Hello crisp and clean white! We used Cabinet Coat (tinted White Dove by Benjamin Moore) paint on the cabinets (with Zinsser primer) and they turned out great!
The island before... one of the things that sold me on this house. The very first day we walked in here I knew what we needed to do...
And after. LOVE IT. It has much more presence and elegance now. Mind you, we do not use the island for food preparation or cutting.. it's too pretty for that (and thats what cutting boards are for lol).
Another view. We will slowly replace the appliances over time (sadly, the roof gets top billing for replacement), so for now we will overlook the mismatchiness.... oh, and we plan to install an over-the-range microwave at that point as well.
And after. We installed a simple 3" tongue and groove beadboard backsplash to keep the other great elements the focus in the kitchen.
And the breakfast table. The walls were so loud they screamed.
And after- Kingsport Gray (Benjamin Moore) on the walls and the Calisse Lantern from Ballard Designs finished up this space :)
I wanted to add some other before shots since it's difficult to see that actual kitchen we walked into from panoramic shots. Here is the range, and no it's not pulled away from the counter. This was the finished product we bought. Who doesn't like a 2" gap??
Here's a close up of the painted green/brown glaze cabinets... from a distance it's hard to tell in the before pictures that the cabinets weren't in mint condition. There were chips on just about every drawer...

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tales-of-The-Big-White-House/769974136358797?ref=hl

• Brooke

I love your kitchen. What type/color of stain did you use on the wood top of the island and what type of counters are on the rest of your cabinets? I would love to have wood counter tops all in my kitchen just like your island.

• Amy Superdeluxe

@Brooke Thans :) We used all minwax products on the island- the stain color is Jacobean. Hope that helps!

• Rya2790997

Where is the faucet from? Also which laminate did you use and are you happy with it?

• Amy Superdeluxe

@Ryan.gingern Hi! We bought the faucet on Amazon, and the laminate is called "oiled soapstone". Love it so far, but of course I'd prefer the real deal lol!!

• Carla Cothron

any ideas on what to do with the built in dead space above kitchen cabinets

• Sho3388359

Great makeover for under $1000.... Question, did you cover the tile backsplash with the board or did you have the tiles removed first?

• Amy Superdeluxe

@Short.raquel We removed all of the tile countertops and backsplash... I wish Hometalk would allow me to post more pictures because we chronicled every step of the way lol!

• Carol_span

what kind of granite are countertops

• Amy Superdeluxe

@Carol_span they are not granite, just used "oiled soapstone" laminate while I wait to get the real deal ;)

• Yvonne

Can you tell me exactly how you painted the cabnets. Will they chip like the previous ones?

• Amy Superdeluxe

@Yvonne We used Zinsser primer and Cabinet coat paint.... cleaned with TSP and it's held up ok. Not perfect, I actually had better luck in our previous kitchen where I used oil based paint, but since we wanted white we didn't go with oil based as that tends to yellow...

• Pai4224187

How did you get rid of the tile backsplash and countertops? We have them, I hate them, have lived here for 12 years and can't afford a professional remodel, (4 kids, college approaching), but how on earth does a homeowner get rid of the tile, doesn't it require a jackhammer?

• Amy Superdeluxe

@Paige Welp, not a jackhammer but the Mr. smashed all of the tile up with a regular hammer.... quite a mess but well worth the effort!! (ps. we also have 4 kids and college approaching lol!!)

• Caroline

Did you sand the cabinets?

• LucaandBrandye Diehl

do you find there's any problems with having the breadboard as a backsplash? Love your makeover!!

• Amy Superdeluxe

Thank you!! We don't find it to be a problem but mostly because there is a considerable distance between the range and back wall (see pics)... but I don't imagine it would be any worse than trying to keep grout clean with a tile backsplash- everything wipes right off!

• Sel5197151

Amy, Your range has an available filler strip that should have come with it or you can order through the manufacturer/ Amazon /Sears. The filler strips come I widths from 1"-3", I believe. That should fill in the gap between the back of the range and your countertop. Look in your range's installation / owners manual to confirm what size to order.

• B ceci

What did you use to seal or paint the butcher block?? BTW it looks great.

• Amy Superdeluxe

Thank you!! We used all minwax products- conditioner, stain (Jacobean) and sealer!

• Felice

I also used a conditioner, stain but a polyurethane (not a gloss) and I can use it without any worries.

• Kle465305

What did you replace tile counter top with?

• Amy Superdeluxe

We used an oiled soapstone laminate we purchased from Loews... it will to do until we can put in the real stuff ;)

• DebJMed

Looks GREAT! Did you replace the black countertops with a laminate or stone? So pretty!

• Amy Superdeluxe

Thank you!!! They are laminate- we used "oiled soapstone" until we can get the real thing :)

• Han1228092

I just put walnut counters on my kitchen island. I sanded and used the suggested mineral oil and wax. I am not happy with them at all. They are not stained and I am thinking I need to put a polyurethane or polyvinyl on them. Obviously I won't be using them for food prep. Could you tell me exactly what you used on yours? Thank you.

• Amy Superdeluxe

Hi Hannah!! I imagine your walnut countertops would come out AMAZING stained!! The guy at Home Depot repeatedly tried to talk us out of staining and using mineral oil as well, but this stubborn gal knows what she wants!! We used all Minwax products- wood conditioner, Jacobean stain and sealer- the stain took FOREVER to get it as dark as we wanted since it's butcherblock, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!! Hope that helps!!!

• Felice

The butcher block looks fabulous. I originally also asked a Home Depot person and they also suggested using mineral oil but I didn't like the natural look. What I did was purchase the stain that matched my cabinets from the kitchen cabinet company (a little expensive but worth it) I had to lightly sand the counter top so I would be able to stain. After staining I put a polyurethane coat ontop. I'm using this as a counter and I could treat it like any other counter top. What I forgot to mention was that my kitchen cabinets were one color stain and I accented another area with a black top and bottom cabinet so I stained the counter top to match the other side of my kitchen. (I also ordered the black in a distressed look which also has sanded areas that kind of match the stain) Also another tip would be to definitely use a wood conditioner because it will allow you to stain wood without uneven staining. This step you do not want to skip. Hope this helps.

• Shelley

Where did you purchase the butcher block?

• Cynthia Aranda

What are the colors on your breakfast table?

• Aleksandra

I love the sink in your counter, does it work fine? My architect told me it would have to be a sink set on top of the counter, otherwise wood would get wet and rot... How do you protect it?

• Amy Superdeluxe

Hello!! Ours is an undercount sink and there is no issue at all with the wood rotting... the island hadn't even been "treated" before we bought the house so I imagine the water just doesn't get on the wood. We sealed it with 3 coats of polyurethane after we stained it, but it truly didn't seem to be an issue prior to that. Hope that helps!!

• Jay10267499

My daughter had her counter tops built by an Amish cabinet shop and they put a marine seal on them. They are beautifu and water resistent.l

• Les

Love the butcher block! Can you tell me what color you used to stain it? Thanks a bunch!!

• Megan Clarke

BEAUTIFUL!! what color stain did you use?

• Audrey

How did you keep the wood from looking blotchy when stained? I used a wood conditioner, then Varathane Dark Walnut and it was very uneven with areas that won't accept the stain.
    , We sanded a bit after this and it looks a bit better but still has the light areas that won t darken up
    • Amy Superdeluxe

Hmmmm... you've done all the same steps we had- perhaps it's just the piece or specimen wood on your island? Have you tried restaining just that blotchy area again?
    • Amy Superdeluxe

• Siomi

How did you fix the countertop?
  • Baba's Thriftique Mall

what color stain did you use on the island counter

• Linda Falconieri Dwight

what did you put on the counter around the stove

• Amy Superdeluxe

Hi Linda- we used the same “oiled soapstone” laminate around the stove as we did on the other perimeter counter.