The Dirty Truth

$3

The cottage came with a vinyl picket fence that stretched across the back yard. It's a nice fence, but it was incredibly dirty! As you can see, it was covered in mold, mildew, and a few lichen. Initially, I had no idea how to clean it and I certainly didn't cherish the thought of scrubbing every square inch of a fence that stretched about 60 feet.
Here's the proof
Here's the proof
Then it hit me......bleach! It's used to kill mold all the time! I grabbed the bottle of bleach and a spray bottle, added bleach and warm water in a 1:5 ratio, and sprayed one section of the fence. The grime melted away! I sprayed the next section and then went back to look at the first one.
fences cleaning tips bleach spraying home, cleaning tips, fences, home maintenance repairs
Since my husband had already turned off the outside faucets for winter, I went back inside and grabbed a bucket of warm water and a rag. With no scrubbing, the vinyl wiped clean.
The 2 Steps:
1.  Spray with bleach solution.
2.  Wipe clean.  I really think a garden hose would
      work, too.
That's it...short and sweet...and a clean fence!
fences cleaning tips bleach spraying home

• Bleach
  • Water
  • Rag
Ann|The  Apple Street Cottage