DIY Herringbone Wood Shim Backsplash

$4
1 Day

We are trying to add some texture and rustic charm to our 'new-to-us' kitchen. This open shelf was created when we relocated our fridge and it was a boring, blah space. We added a little 'something' with this herringbone back splash made from wood shims. Bonus? It's completely removable down the line!
I started by measuring the shelf space and sizing some cardboard to those dimensions. I actually had to tape two pieces together. Then I drew a line down the very centre.
Using my shims, which I had cut to approximately 4" long, I created my first 'arrow' down the centre line.
Then, I filled in the rest of the pattern to make sure it all fit and I liked it.
Using basic wood glue (and some heavy books!) I fixed each shim to the cardboard. I also used a hack saw to carefully size each piece to the cardboard's dimensions as best as possible.
Then I simply stuck it up on the shelf! No need to nail or glue it to the wall - the cardboard fit nice and snug!
For more details on how this project came together, make sure you visit our blog www.diypassion.com! Thanks so much for reading :)

DIY Passion

• Linda

LOVE the project. I have to ask, where did you get the beautiful blue jug? Thank you, Linda

• Valerie Burge

Ok - that's amazing!! Love that pattern. And love that it could easily be removed if or when you decide to go with something else later.

• Gloria McKague

Love that this is so easily removed what a great idea!!!