The Chirping Frog
The Chirping Frog
  • Glen Carbon, IL

Carved Vertical Concrete Retaining Wall

I hate looking at concrete retaining walls. When we built the house I knew something would have to be done to hide them. I took a class or two and waalah- a unique, OOAK carved wall. Much better.
We started with a blank wall and my husband wanted to add "bump-outs." That's the beginning of what you're seeing with the rebar. The hole you see at the top is for a waterfall (when we poured the wall and the upper patio we also added piping for this, and anything else you could possibly imagine).
I started in the corner and worked my way around. It took me a couple weeks to finish it. I worked alone most of the time. Mixing, throwing and carving wears me out so I don't get as far in a day by myself as I could if I had someone doing the mixing.
It also rained on me so I made a "make-shift" tent so I could continue working.
For the area directly under the stairs I had to be in the lake....yeah....I jumped out of my skin a couple times. The fish "hunt" right here around the edge and a good sized snake hangs out in some rock right near here. Stinkin' bass make a quick dart and splashed and I nearly came out of my boots!
Stained.
Stained.
Stained. Some clean-up to do but nearly done!
Except for the bridge. It's done!
The Chirping Frog

• Roger

What mix of cement, sand, and water did you use?

Thanks.