Mom4Real
Mom4Real
  • Lexington, KY

Homemade and Inexpensive Laundry Detergent

I've really been trying to make as many of my own household cleaners as I can lately. There is just something about knowing exactly what is in the products that my family uses that makes me feel good. So, I decided to try my hand at making my own laundry detergent. It was super simple and way less expensive than the national brand I was using...plus, I love the way it smells! My laundry comes out just as
diy laundry detergent inexpensive, cleaning tips, laundry rooms, repurposing upcycling
Homemade Laundry Detergent
You only need three ingredients...a laundry bar, Borax and Washing Soda...that's it!
Simply grate your laundry bar or put it in a food processor.
Then mix with the Borax and Washing Soda!
Store it in a container, add a scoop, and you are on your way to clean clothes! I use 1/4 cup for each load of laundry. For the exact measurements and a recipe for homemade fabric softener, be sure to pop over to the blog!
Mom4Real

• K

I have a washing machine that calls for he detergents. Is this going to be compatable with my machine?

• K

Yes, thank you. I have been using Vinegar, water, essential oil mixed together and put on strips of an old towel and put in a jar with lid. I use it in my dryer as a wrinkle and deodarent for my dryer and when I wash towels, bedding and other things from around the house I put some of it as a softener/freshener for the washer. Makes everything smell so nice.

• Doug Gould

Where can I get these ingredients??

• Patty V.

The Borax and Washing Soda can be found at WalMart. I've never heard of the other item.

• Alicia

Is this laundry detergent septic safe?

• Marcia Robbins

I found a measuring spoon with one and two tablespoon ends. It works great and I leave it with the laundry soap. It was on Amazon and an add on.

• Layne Lunday-Starr

I don't think you need a scoop that big. You really only need 1-2 tbs.