TheKimSixFix
TheKimSixFix
  • San Francisco, CA

Recycled K-Cup Halloween Lights

Since Keurig K-Cups Cannot be recycled I have been saving them and saving them trying to think of a craft I could use them for.
I have been cleaning them out and using the coffee grounds in my garden, and composing the filters, but I was still left with the plastic cups themselves. They are punctured at the bottom, so they aren't good for holding anything.. I knew I had to think outside the box!
When I found a string of orange "christmas tree" lights at the Dollar Store I knew exactly what they would be perfect for. Little Jack O' Lantern bulb covers.. perfect to light the pathway for little Trick Or Treaters.
I used stickers for the faces, but it would have been just as easy to draw them on in marker. In the daylight they look like little white ghosts, but in the darkness, when they light up, they glow orange like little pumpkins!
Now I don't feel so guilty sipping my cup of coffee in the morning, knowing my K-cup waste isn't in the landfill, but instead "Brightening" someone's day.. LITERALLY.
Full reveal and step by step tutorial: http://www.thekimsixfix.com/2014/10/k-cup-recycled-garland-ghosts-by-day.html
recycled k cup halloween lights, halloween decorations, repurposing upcycling, seasonal holiday decor
All the supplies you need.. K-cups and a string of lights.
All the little cups, decorated and ready to be strung on the lights.
Inserting the lights into the cups (since a hole is already punched into the bottom of the cup, it is easy)

TheKimSixFix

• Wandamurline

I wrote Kuerig a letter about not being able to recycle their cups. They did respond and told me that they are working on trying to come up with something that can be recycled....but then that was over a year ago, so who knows. But your use of the cups is really cute.
  • Kari

Use colored lights and put them out for Christmas, or red, white and blue for patriotic holidays & pastel lights for easter, the colors you need for fall.