Anna @Annabode
Anna @Annabode
  • Alexandria, VA

One Room Challenge Playroom Makeover!

The biggest challenge I face in decorating any room is always of my own creation: self-doubt. I’m constantly second-guessing myself…Does this look good? Is it really my style, or am I just imitating someone else?
oneroomchallenge playroom makeover, entertainment rec rooms, home decor, organizing, storage ideas
This is what I faced this week. And whenever I’m driving myself crazy like that, I try to remind myself that if my family and I think it’s beautiful, then it is. Taste is so subjective anyways. The homes that we create are for ourselves to enjoy, and as long as we’re happy in them, that’s all that matters. Of course, easier said than done!
Anyways, welcome back to Linda from Calling it Home’s where designers and bloggers make over a room in their house in just 6 weeks. If you missed the beginning of the series, you can catch up on it on my blog, Annabode.com.
We are currently in Week 4. I’ve been working on C’s playroom, which today looks like this:
I’m really digging how this part of the room is coming out. When I purchased the chair, it was actually covered in white chalk paint. But, I needed some contrast and color in the desk area. So I spent an hour sanding it and spray painted the legs in green Krylon spray paint. (Side note: I was not impressed with Krylon’s coverage, and will be sticking with Rustoleum in the future). I still have to seal it, so the seat and back will end up being slightly darker. But I love the green!
And here is what I’m struggling with: the book nook. The pillows aren’t really working, and I’m afraid the wall is too Scandinavian-esque to fit well with the rest of the room. I finished this last week but didn’t include it in last week’s post because I was still working out how I felt about it. I’d love any suggestions for this corner!
To read more about this room, click on the link to Annabode below.
Do any of you struggle like I do with “decorating confidence”? I’d love to hear I’m not alone!

Anna @Annabode

• Chris aka monkey

@Anna @Annabode the design on the wall matches the baskets, get small chairs if the pillows aren't working out you refinished that other one and it turned out great...if you read any blogs you will find all sorts of confidence issues you are not alone xx

• GR

I like the book nook and I don't think it looks like it doesn't fit in but it's hard sometimes to tell from a photo! I wonder if you need more cushions or bean bags so that it feels cozier and more usable? I think if they're honest everyone has a moment (or twenty) of doubt. I'm not sure what's worst, when I think I know EXACTLY what I want but I can't work out how to get there, when I don't even know what I want or when I want several different looks but none of them go together :-D