Ronja Lotte
Ronja Lotte
  • Germany

Washable T-shirt-rug

$0
1 Day

Last week I finally remembered to get more old T-shirts and so I completed my next T-shirt-yarn project: a small rug for my bathroom. I have seen this kind of braided rug in a few variations but at every tutorial the fabric was glued to cardboard and the rugs were not washable. Since I have a tomcat that prefers to show me his displeasure with the help of his body fluids (soon he is going to get a plug) do not wash" is never an option for me! So I've made my own washable version of this rug.
repurposing t shirt rug washable, bathroom ideas, crafts, diy, how to, repurposing upcycling
Material and tools: A piece of fabric (this should be slightly larger than the rug is going to be), a measuring tape, glue, scissors and something to fixate the braid (I always use a clamp)...
... and a lot of T-shirt yarn. You can read here (search my posts) or at my blog, how to cut your own t-shirt yarn. I used for my rug four T-shirts (two white, one white with blue stripes and a grey with blue stripes).
Sooo, first you need four strands of T-Shirt yarn in your favorite colors. How long you cut the strands, depends on what length is best for you to work with.
At the beginning you need to knot the four strands of yarn.
When braiding, I always have to secure the yarn-braid to a solid surface, otherwise I'll go crazy. Depending on your level of calm, you may do the same... and the braiding-fun begins! Now it's braiding, braiding and a little more braiding. I have done my braid on two nights while watching television. Very relaxing!
Eventually you will come to the point where you are at the end of your strands. No problem, you can extend them easily without major knots. For this, you take a pair of scissors, fold a small piece of the end of your strand and cut a tiny hole in the fabric.
You do the same with the beginning of the new strain and place the two above one another so that the holes lie over each other.
The end of the new strand now needs to be threaded and pulled through the two holes...
... until you can tighten the knot.
Ta-da!
When I was satisfied with the length of the braid, I just tied a knot at the end.
Now the piece of fabric comes into play. Next you must glue the braid on the fabric to fixate it before sewing. Otherwise the sewing is going to be a nightmare.
...And I once again reached the limit of photos I can upload :-( Sorry but you have to read the rest of this tutorial at my blog! I hope you like it :-)

Ronja Lotte

• Esther

Love your rug. I am collecting t-shirt fir quite some time now . I've planing of having the same rug , thanks to you now I know how. Which glue you are using ? Thx .

• Becky

An industrial epoxy would work, like E6000.

• Jennifer

I'm not sure how to braid with 4 strands. Can you explain?
    Thanks,
    Jennifer
    • Ronja Lotte

It´s best to learn this braid via a video tutorial. That is how I learned it ;-) Just search for this braid at youtube and you will find tons of tutorials. Good luck!
  • Jeannie Herman

HOw do you braid with four strands?

• Lynn

I think this is a herringbone braid. Outside pieces go over inside piece to me he center. . Very difficult to explain but simple to do.

• Veralucia Santos

Genial!
  • Lee

years ago,my friend made oval large rugs out of plastic bread bags,especially wonder bread as it was colorful. when it got a spot on it,she would just wipe it off with a wet rug. i do not remember her putting any kind of protection on it. i think it was three strands and not four.