Home Made Bird Bath

Create your own birdbath using concrete, chicken wire and a large hosta leaf. It is very easy and the birds love it too! The hard part is waiting for it to set before you display it in your garden.
Visit my blog to see the tutorial http://dewdropgardens.blogspot.ca/2012/08/home-made-bird-bath.html
Hosta leaf being covered in concrete
Hosta leaf being covered in concrete
Even the chickens like it
Even the chickens like it
The bird's new swimming pool
The bird's new swimming pool
Debbie Borthwick

• Debbie Borthwick

We're about 1 1/2 hours west of TO and you're right, we don't have as much as you.

• Claudette

The natural leaf made a beautiful impression. I love to work with clay (pottery) I search thrift stores for lace anything with a texture including plastic leaves. When clay or concrete is at what is called leather stage ( firm with a little flex) put plastic lace or whatever design you like on your container firmly roll about a 2" wooden dowel cut to the size you can have comfortable control, you don't want to press so hard the concrete or clay pushes through the design. Take your stencil right off you don't want it to dry on your project. Sorry my brain is trying to go in multiple direction. The best part with you concrete project when it is dry You have no need to place it in a kiln and bake for 24 hours around 1200 degrees. This is my first post I hope this was clear enough and perhaps it may give someone a idea for either material

, I forgot to mention a lite spray of anything like wd40 will help to keep you design from adhering to your project Claudette from San Diego California I have really wanted to try working with concrete NOW I have to give it a try