Peace Painting Co., Inc.
Peace Painting Co., Inc.
  • Alpharetta, GA

Painting a straight line at the ceiling trick

How pros don't use tape.
painting a straight line at the ceiling trick, paint colors, painting, walls ceilings, Paint your ceiling first wrapping the corner Take your ubiquitous 5 in 1 s back edge and gently score a mark
Paint your ceiling first, wrapping the corner. Take your ubiquitous 5-in-1's back edge and gently score a mark.
painting a straight line at the ceiling trick, paint colors, painting, walls ceilings, Just use the corner as the naturally flowing guide
Just use the corner as the naturally flowing guide.
painting a straight line at the ceiling trick, paint colors, painting, walls ceilings, Using a 3 inch brush loaded with paint just cover the line
Using a 3 inch brush loaded with paint, just cover the line.
painting a straight line at the ceiling trick, paint colors, painting, walls ceilings, Viola this little trick will make even a coffee lover s line look good
Viola, this little trick will make even a coffee lover's line look good.

• Eve

Any tips for painting a straight line with plaster walls and ceiling? Thanks

• Susan Adams Dunlap

Take a flat head screw driver and run in along the ceiling next to the wall top. That makes a slight flat valley for paintbrush to cut in for ceiling paint.

• Annette Russo

What if your not painting the ceiling?

• Gurn

What if you have small ceiling cove do you paint it the wall colour or the ceiling colour

• N. Cobb

That probably works great on a smooth wall. What about on a textured wall (like orange peel or Spanish Lace)?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Correct, not so much around texture, but perhaps it would make it easier.

• Huu Tai Roberts

Use caulk. Put a thin bead of painter's caulk in the corner and use a damp sponge to wipe the excess.
    • Carl Henderson

I've scored a line on a heavily popcorn textured ceiling. Looks great.
    • Carl Henderson

I've done it in a heavy popcorn textured ceiling.
    • Kev31935005

a better way or what I learned was instead of a sharp tool line like the five and one use a sharp pencil and run a line. Sharp edges can create small gaps and even tear drywall paper creating more issues. Try it it works!
      , This was a knock down ceiling and again a fine pencil line to create my edge
  • Vivtaylor06

Sorry re my ignorance but what is a 5 in 1 ?
    • Rob

Its a painters tool, the one in the image. It can do 5 jobs in one tool.
    • Yylowinger

It's main job is cleaning or scraping paint off of brushes and rollers before you wash them.

• Jhi14866314

The best painters tool you will ever have!!
  • Robert Trujillo

What if you have a popcorn Celine
    • Kev31935005

Just use a small flat head screw driver and run to along the ceiling where it meets the wall. That will create a flat line where you can paint into
  • Faith

This is absolutely brilliant!! How about keeping a steady line at the baseboard, same method? Thanks so much!!!
    • Peace Painting Co., Inc.

I’ve not tried it on a baseboard because it’s easier to make that line where you don’t see it as much but it should work there too!

• Eileen

Can I buy that 5-1 tool in England please
  • War33296471

What happens if I got a shaky hand

• War33296471

What happens if I got a shaky hand

• Laurie

How does it work? Does the paint fall into the scoring or what?

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

It’s more like it just gives you a distinct line to follow, it does take a lot of practice but jump in there you can do it!

• Alm23923453

Just don't push very hard, don't want to cut the drywall tape underneath. Wallpaper hangers cut drywall tape very easy when hanging paper. I know, I hung paper and painted for 35 years.

• Dennis

Whats the difference??

Your paint brush making a straight line or your five in one?? both are done by your hand and eye. try a bead of caulk to fill in that irregular gap between the wall and ceiling and then cut your wall to the ceiling. scoring the corner will most likely leave a black line during change of seasons