Ann S
Ann S
  • Kalamazoo, MI
Asked on Aug 24, 2012

Flowers: Can I split these Canna Lilies up, I just bought for a girlfriend for her b-day but they seem a bit root bound?

Sue KieneAnn SDouglas Hunt
+4

I got an extra matching pot, to make 2 of these if possible yet this year or should wait til next yr?
Beautiful yes! And on Sale!
Beautiful yes! And on Sale!
  • 3po3

You should be able to divide them, but there's a trick to dividing rhizome-rooted plants. Here is a good document that explains dividing canna lilies: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1315/ANR-1315.pdf

• Ann S

Wow thanks for the great info on them! I'm passing it on to my girlfriend.

• Lori J

Why divide them now unless you plan to overwinter indoors? Cannas have to be dug and stored in your zone. The diviision can be done in the spring. "If you live in USDA zone 7 or below, dig up your canna lilies before the first frost. Carefully take your rhizomes out of the ground, wipe away excess soil and let them dry out for a week. Then, place them in a box or paper bag filled with peat moss and store them in a dry area that is between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Replant in the spring when the soil is warmer and frost is no longer a danger." Read more: How to Care for Canna Lilies in the Winter | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_4855481_care-canna-lilies-winter.html#ixzz24Se9MtRy

• Delores Lmt

They will continue to multiply....I have them growing in my yard. I mow them down for the winter, they come back in the spring. I have dug some up and did not get back to them, they still lived sitting on top the ground....

Delores, I am not sure where you live, but in Michigan I think Ann needs to follow Lori's advice.

• Ann S

Thanks for the advice! I guess my girlfriend does have a place to put in her house! So I linked both sites to my friend & we'll see what she wants to do! Right now we have them in front of her restaurant.

• Sue Kiene

Yes they will need to be brought in or lifted out before winter hits us. Frost and freezes is on its way.