How to Take Care of Your Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree

Fiddle Leaf Figs are a favorite of decorators everywhere. Their giant leaves and plant height add an instant focal point to any room. They can also be very expensive (read $$$ for a 4-5 ft tree) and are notorious for being hard to take care of. I'm usually ok with plants but was tensed after hearing all the horror stories. So I went with a $13 IKEA version.
So far it has been going great. I kept it in its original pot for about an year after which I re-potted to a slightly larger pot (more on that on the blog). I water maybe once a week only when the soil is dry to touch.
The biggest problem with these is the dust that settles on the large leaves.
See how clean the leaves are now?
Update: It has been almost 3 months since I did this. Happy to report that the shine is still there and there has been very little dust accumulation on the leaves! Check out the link below for the tips.

Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story

• Rick

I have a Fig tree, not sure what type it is the leaves look like clover leaves only bigger. I know I have to protect it over the winter, so what is the best way? I usually cut it back, tie it close together, stuff it full of dried leaves then wrap burlap around it. It seems like it takes forever to come to life the following year. What should I do?

• Emmybel

I have read to do the leaves and burlap, but to string Christmas lights (non LED) through the plant before wrapping in burlap. Plug em in and it keeps the tree warm! I haven’t personally tried it yet, but I am this season for my two fig trees!