Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story
Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story
  • Ashburn, VA

How to Take Care of Your Fiddle Leaf Fig Tree

Fiddle Leaf Figs are a favorite of decorators everywhere. Their giant leaves and plant height add an instant focal point to any room. They can also be very expensive (read $$$ for a 4-5 ft tree) and are notorious for being hard to take care of. I'm usually ok with plants but was tensed after hearing all the horror stories. So I went with a $13 IKEA version.
So far it has been going great. I kept it in its original pot for about an year after which I re-potted to a slightly larger pot (more on that on the blog). I water maybe once a week only when the soil is dry to touch.
how to take care of your fiddle leaf fig tree, container gardening, gardening, how to
The biggest problem with these is the dust that settles on the large leaves.
See how clean the leaves are now?
Update: It has been almost 3 months since I did this. Happy to report that the shine is still there and there has been very little dust accumulation on the leaves! Check out the link below for the tips.

Vidya: Whats Ur Home Story

• Rick

I have a Fig tree, not sure what type it is the leaves look like clover leaves only bigger. I know I have to protect it over the winter, so what is the best way? I usually cut it back, tie it close together, stuff it full of dried leaves then wrap burlap around it. It seems like it takes forever to come to life the following year. What should I do?

• Claudia

Well i didn't know that about oils, i put half of the coconut oil nd the other of neem oil, i added neem bc i believe it will help in keeping those pest away the gbats, fruit flies etc... Ive done it to the fiddle and the bird of paradise and the dracenea, hmmm and big leave plants they smell good look shiny and hopefully itll keep the pests away
  • Faisal Jamal

great read and I will add simply water + shampoo the clean up the leaves as I did while growing Kratom plants.