Steve D
Steve D
  • North Las Vegas, NV
Asked on Aug 24, 2012

Question

3po3Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.comWallsTreat Studio/ Kass Wilson
+4

Do you guys ever get tired of having a big box store employee asking you what something is for, (especially when the items you are looking for are NOT going to be used for their intended purpose)? Then, if you tell them the truth, it takes several minutes, they get a totally confused look on their face, then they want to argue with you why it won't work.
  • Dee W

Ha! Guess you were just shopping? So, tell us what you bought and what you are going to do with it. Oh, and to answer your question-yes, it does but in their defense my friend works at one and they are supposed to be "helpful" by asking, pointing, following or otherwise giving their opinions. I guess they have more complaints about lack of attention than too much and some employees overcompensate.

• Leslie D

That's his pet peeve....mine is having a realtor tell me how I can change things in a house I'm looking at....I've been building for over 20 years, I think I may know a bit more about what I can and can't do than a realtor.

• 3po3

I always try to hunt down the one really smart employee at the big box store I know and trust (he doesn't actually know everything about remodeling, but knows the store like the back of his hand), and kind of ignore the rest of the crew. Besides, once in a while, they actually know what they are talking about, particularly the older guys. I have found many of them are former carpenters and contractors who really know their stuff and wanted a less strenuous job for some extra money.

• Ruth O

Actually, I like it, because when I tell them what I want to do, sometimes they come up with something that I had not thought of yet.

• I am very familiar with that "deer in the headlights" look. Most of the guys at my local stores know me and now just ask, "What are you up to today?"

• For fun I wear an orange shirt to our local store and you would be amazed at how many people come up to me and ask questions. I tell them that I do not work there, but I know the store so well I normally help them anyway. I have given out my card on many occasions and have received work as a result.

• 3po3

Woodbridge, I love it. I wish you hung out in my neighborhood store.