Talking Toile: Turning a Traditional Pattern into a Modern Must Have

After seeing this great bathroom in UK Homes & Garden, I wanted to hear your views on TOILE.
I actually love toile, but have never used it in my home due to the inherent French love affair implications (my style is more modern). Once reserved for traditional homes, modern color-ways are bringing this pattern back to life and it might just make it in to my next home remodel.
Have you used traditional toile in your home? If you have never considered it, would you consider using it in this modern way?
Image: Homes & Gardens | Get The Look: Design Wotcha | Photographer Carolyn Barber
Image: Living etc. | Photographer James Merrell

Helena @ Design Wotcha!

• Z

My hubby and I work on house projects during the winter months since he's home more. I doubt that will happen this winter so maybe I'll get to these projects.

• Veronica Roach

I've always been a blue toile 'nut' since a friend used it for a room in the 1960's - have collected many blue&white china pieces too, and I have those somewhere in every room these days. Every so often I bring home a roll of paper or a swatch of fabric I cannot resist, and spend hours trying to decide exactly what to do with it. My main issue with modern wallpapers is the tendency to curl at the edges after a year or 2 - really infuriating & those edges are very hard to re-apply - never used to be a problem - I think it's the washable surfaces they use on them now - they seem to shrink (as do vinyl floor tiles after some years). So I have resisted wallpaper for the past 10 years or so, much as I love it, altho I do still have 2 rooms with paper that now needs to be removed. My arms & shoulders are suffering from old-age nowadays so my days of do-it-yourself are limited - Grrrrr - my main hobby is now out of bounds - I spent many a 3am hour admiring my handiwork after wallpapering once the kids had gone to bed ! I can paint - slowly - so that is what I will do and maybe do those wallpaper 'panels' that somebody has posted on this site recently - that is a wonderful idea. Just remembered my last 'must have' purchase - a roll of "leopard-skin" wallpaper - so beautiful - tucked it away to use for gift wrap - that is where a lot of my wallpaper ended up eventually !