Setting the Garden With Plate Flowers

$5

When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers. I've also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive. I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and putting them together. I love that every flower will be one of a kind, and the possibilities are really endless.

Here are my finished plate flowers, staked in the ground about 8-12" for stability..

The middle plate flower is made with a silver plate shallow bowl, a silver plate candy dish, and a silver tone flower brooch with a broken clasp.

This one was made with a silver edged plate, a small white scalloped dish, a yellow tea light holder, and a rhinestone brooch.

And the third one was made with three glass pieces, a large 9" plate, a lovely candy dish, and a small diffuser bottle.

The pieces were glued together using Marine Goop adhesive, and left to cure for 24 hours. Once cured I glued pieces of an old deck swing to their backs for stems.

Once the stems were cured I just put them in the garden. The thing I enjoy most is that there's no watering required. To see more garden art projects check out my blog at http://thriftyrebelvintage.com/

• Misc dishes  (thrift store)
  • Marine Goop Adhesive  (home improvement store)

Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
30 Jaw-Dropping Decorating Techniques You've Never Seen Before
Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
31 Creative Ways To Fill Empty Wall Space
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Color Me Thrifty

• Ams10810032

I am thrilled to see the combination of metal and glass that you've done. I've been making glass plate flowers for 4 years and been gluing a hockey puck onto the back. You can insert rebar into the puck. They have held up well. Do you know if a puck will adhere to the metal plate as well as to the glass?
  • Georgia

What did you use for the posts?

• Sco49585167

How do u get what you need for stems for the glass plate flowers

• Color Me Thrifty

I used leftover pipes from an old broken deck swing, but you can get pipes at any home improvement store, copper or regular metal would work. I've also used PVC piping on occasion too.

• Lisa J.

Love this idea! Definitely going to do this once we move! Thanks sooooooo much!

• Sylvia Markle

Love it. I have a small garden with no plants lol. I don't have a green thumb. This will be great .THANK YOU