Setting the Garden With Plate Flowers

$5

When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers. I've also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive. I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and putting them together. I love that every flower will be one of a kind, and the possibilities are really endless.

Here are my finished plate flowers, staked in the ground about 8-12" for stability..

The middle plate flower is made with a silver plate shallow bowl, a silver plate candy dish, and a silver tone flower brooch with a broken clasp.

This one was made with a silver edged plate, a small white scalloped dish, a yellow tea light holder, and a rhinestone brooch.

And the third one was made with three glass pieces, a large 9" plate, a lovely candy dish, and a small diffuser bottle.

The pieces were glued together using Marine Goop adhesive, and left to cure for 24 hours. Once cured I glued pieces of an old deck swing to their backs for stems.

Once the stems were cured I just put them in the garden. The thing I enjoy most is that there's no watering required. To see more garden art projects check out my blog at http://thriftyrebelvintage.com/

• Misc dishes  (thrift store)
  • Marine Goop Adhesive  (home improvement store)
Color Me Thrifty

• Mj

Can you gove more details about attaching the post and what the tape is for. Thanks.

• Color Me Thrifty

Hi MJ. Thanks for the question. The gorilla tape was just to hold the posts in place while the glue cured, about 24 hours. After that I removed the tape. I hope that helps. Tuula

• Ams10810032

I am thrilled to see the combination of metal and glass that you've done. I've been making glass plate flowers for 4 years and been gluing a hockey puck onto the back. You can insert rebar into the puck. They have held up well. Do you know if a puck will adhere to the metal plate as well as to the glass?
    • HELEN

I LIKE THE HOCKY PUCK IDEA. HOW DO U MAKE HOLE FOR REBAR?

• Georgia

What did you use for the posts?

• Georgia

Thank you for your reply. So I assume you painted them green then?

• Lisa J.

Love this idea! Definitely going to do this once we move! Thanks sooooooo much!

• Sylvia Markle

Love it. I have a small garden with no plants lol. I don't have a green thumb. This will be great .THANK YOU