Setting the Garden With Plate Flowers

When coming home from my day job I pass a house that has all kinds of metal garden decor for sale on the front lawn. There are metal birds, trees, obelisks, and beautiful large metal flowers. I've also seen this metal garden art at craft shows, and it can be quite expensive.
I thought that I could make my own scaled down (and inexpensive) versions of the flowers by collecting some thrifted items and
setting the garden with flower plates, crafts, flowers, gardening, repurposing upcycling
Here are my finished plate flowers, staked in the ground about 8-12" for stability..
The middle plate flower is made with a silver plate shallow bowl, a silver plate candy dish, and a silver tone flower brooch with a broken clasp.
This one was made with a silver edged plate, a small white scalloped dish, a yellow tea light holder, and a rhinestone brooch.
And the third one was made with three glass pieces, a large 9" plate, a lovely candy dish, and a small diffuser bottle.
The pieces were glued together using Marine Goop adhesive, and left to cure for 24 hours. Once cured I glued pieces of an old deck swing to their backs for stems.
Once the stems were cured I just put them in the garden. The thing I enjoy most is that there's no watering required.
To see more garden art projects check out my blog at http://thriftyrebelvintage.com/
Tuula @ Thrifty Rebel Vintage

• Mickey Baron

Do you think the Marine Goop would hold together a larger plate? Has it held up thus far, through wind, & rain? Seems like they get pretty heavy. TY for your time.

• Hi Mickey. The 3 flowers in this post are not very heavy, but some recent plate flowers that I've made are quite heavy and the Marine Goop works perfectly for me. The trick is to not overdo it with the glue. When attaching pieces together it's important to kind of wiggle them to make sure that the pieces are actually touching each other and not just sitting in glue. Too much glue is not a good thing. The Marine Goop is meant for boat repair and is water and UV resistant. Mine are out for 3 seasons of the year and have held up great. It is important to take them in for the winter if you have freezing temps and lots of snow like I do. I hope that helps.

• Mickey Baron

Thank you, yes, I've gooped on the E6000, hoping to get enough that it doesn't form bubbles. Something this beautiful shouldn't stay out in our Mi. winters anyway. They need washing, occasionally, they are glass. I'll try this Marine goop. TY Nice tips from a pro :)

• Gwen

GE silicone II clear caulk works great and is inexpensive. I make very heavy layered "garden plates" and once it set nothing will pry it loose. I found E6000 too brittle, and expensive!

• Tom N Bonnie Harlan

When I called the number on the E6000 tube I was told it is not UV resistant and to use E6800. However, I've not been able to find it in stores.

• Mko6773390

I love the GE silicone II caulk idea. I've been looking for something waterproof. Mine haven't withstood rain. And I've had a problem with securing to a stake when the plate doesn't have a flat bottom. Hope this solves it.

• Yvette Huesler

If using E6000, PLEASE wear a mask. The fumes are toxic!
  • Sherig47

Where did u buy the marine goop?

• Mj

Can you gove more details about attaching the post and what the tape is for. Thanks.

• Hi MJ. Thanks for the question. The gorilla tape was just to hold the posts in place while the glue cured, about 24 hours. After that I removed the tape. I hope that helps. Tuula

• Ams10810032

I am thrilled to see the combination of metal and glass that you've done. I've been making glass plate flowers for 4 years and been gluing a hockey puck onto the back. You can insert rebar into the puck. They have held up well. Do you know if a puck will adhere to the metal plate as well as to the glass?