Karen L
Karen L
  • Jacksonville, TX
Asked on Aug 25, 2012

Help! My cat is ruining my house plants!

PandlcormierDebbie McGill ScottLaura G
+5

Does anyone know how to keep my cat out of my house plants? And no, I will not get rid of her, she is family. I have tried putting them in high places, but she still finds a way to get in them.
  • Miriam I

I read a tip here about filling the surface of the planter with shells or rocks, since cats don't like to step on rough surfaces.

• This might sound mean, but it's not, they just won't be able to find a spot in them and leave then alone! I staked mine with bamboo skewers once. I had a cat that would not leave my ferns alone and would break them all down to make a little nest. It worked like a charm and my cat was never harmed. Just stick the bamboo down into the plant and leave just enough up above the surface of the dirt to deter them from laying down :) Good luck!

• Carroll A

I have two indoor cats. I have a palm tree and a couple other large potted plants, I took clear strapping tape and created a lattice pattern covering the top of the planter. Make sure the wholes are big enough to water through,but not much bigger than about 4 inches square. After a while they will quit trying to get in them. As for eating the leaves. I have one (spider/airplane) I can't keep them out of no matter where it is. I had to put it in the only "no pets" room I have in the house.

• Andrea

you could try putting rocks over the soil.. then she cant dig.

• Rae in Texas

Try various sheet layers of aluminum foil. My cats were scared by the sound.

• Laura G

I agree with Rae, aluminum foil, poke little holes in it though for circulation, then cover with some rocks.

• Debbie McGill Scott

I used large pine cones as mulch in mine. Never had an issue again.

• Pandlcormier

I had the same thing with my 3 cats digging in my plants in the house too. I went to the dollar store and bought a couple of bags of decorative stones for crafts and placed them on top of the soils and they stopped digging. Looks nice and worked great!!