Clean Your Dishwasher and Get Rid Of Hardwater and Lime Buildup

Have you ever taken your dishes out of the dishwasher only to discover that they are covered in debris? Most likely that debris is lime buildup from hard water, and it's probably in the hoses of your dishwasher. I set out to find a way to clean them, and am so happy that I did! Now my dishwasher cleans my dishes just like it did when I bought it!
Do your glasses look like this? With tiny specs on them?
All you need is some baking soda, citric acid (also sold in stores as produce protector), and lemon essential oil to make your own dishwasher cleaner. For exact amounts, click over to the blog post...link provided below!
Mix the ingredients together and pour into your empty dishwasher. Start the washing cycle and after 2-5 minutes, pause it for at least 4 hours. Let the wash cycle finish.
Your dishwasher will sparkle...
And your glasses will thank you!

Mom4Real

• Connie Bird

I have always used 2 packets of unsweetened lemon koolaid to clean dishwasher but can't clean the screen at bottom ow dishwasher. Any ideas? How do you clean bottom screen that is gunked up with leftover food from dishes?

• Mary

Take the screen out, clean it, then replace it.

• :Lottie

How do you clean a refrigerator that is shiney outside?

• Tammy

I have had stainless steel appliances for 20 years. I have tried every stainless steel cleaner, vinagar, stainless steel polish, WD 40, you name it I tried it.

1. Anything you use that is oily, furniture polish, WD 40, and most stainless steel polishes will leave a greasy residue that will attract dust, dirt and pet hair. Not optimal!

2. Vinegar can't really cut through greasy fingerprints and smudges.

I have settled on the following procedure. Although it's two steps, it works and I find my appliances stay clean longer.

Using a cotton rag, wipe off all smudges, fingerprints, and gunk with 409. It will remove everything easily but will leave streaks.

Then, using a cotton dish rag, wet the rag with warm or hot water and ring it out. Wipe entire surface of appliance and then dry it with a cotton dish towel.

I can carry out this whole process on my microwave, stove, dishwasher and refrigerator in about 15 minutes. They shine, look beautiful and brand new!

• Wendy

I WILL TRY THIS BUT WHAT IS THE PROPORTION FOR THE BAKING SODA, CITRIC ACID AND LEMON OIL?

• Kelli

At the end of the post, it gives a link button to her blog post, about this subject. It gives both the recipe for the dishwasher cleaner, as well as tips to clean the screens and hoses also attached and causing the hard water problems. I do realize that was a run-in sentence... Sorry, but I was so excited about actually having a correct and definitive answer. The words came pouring out. I hope this helps.