Ally
Ally
  • Schenectady, NY
Asked on Aug 28, 2012

What should I use this GIGANTIC toy box for? (that's not illegal)

Sandra SujkaUpStateHeather Nates
+20

I had a bit of a thrift store meltdown, and purchased some weird items, but this one is truly spectacular. And I do not know what to do with the ridiculous thing now....
q what should i use this gigantic toy box for that s not illegal
  • 3po3

That's fantastic. I would put my toys (ie tools) in there. Get them protected and out of the way, and it would make me laugh every time I got out my drill or saw or hammer or whatever.

• Teresa Guerrero Impson

I agree with Steve. I did the same thing with my son's old toy box. I had finished it in red and black w/checkered flags when he was growing up and into Dale Earnhardt and racing. I left the colors and merely attached four Rubber Wheel Swivel Plate Casters to make it easily mobile. It holds all my power tools, as I did not want them outside in the storage shed (I'm currently renovating by myself), and I place cushions as needed for extra seating, but mine has a flat level top. Enjoy!

• Ally

Yes. It seems man "toys" is the only thing suitable. Or firewood.

• I have something similar in my oldest son's room at the end of the bed. We keep pillows and comforters in it since my linen closet is busting at the seams.

• Ally

Did you paint it? Or otherwise "prettify"? Because this thing is fugly.

• Sharron W

I would cut it in half lengthwise, make a second top and turn the two of them into Mudroom benches, or benches for the breakfast table with long cushions on top and some paint, You could use them for storage of your "not used very often" kitchen items that don't really fit in the cupboards....like the turkey roaster or the canner.... in the mudroom, they'd obviously hold the scarfs and gloves, galoshes, what have you...and serve as a place to sit...Obviously they would have to be painted... Speaking of paint....that green Berry wreath doesn't have to be just for christmas, if you paint it white you can can anything to it seasonally...

• Ally

Great ideas! Now I need a mudroom. lol

• Pat S

I don't have a mudroom either, which I would love, but if you have space by the front door, or back, you could make it work. I'd paint and distress it and the letters...glam up with hardware and use for storage and bench. I love it!

• Sharron W

@Pat.....If it comes as high as her knees in height....2 Benches....LOL the average seat is like 16-18 inches ....Of course maybe I should have asked how tall she is...LOL! But I have to say the thing DOES look Giagantic!

• Z

I know what I'd do with it. We live in the country and often purchase things via the web. This would be a great "mailbox" for all those larger boxes since I don't always see the delivery guys come. At Christmas when they are super busy they just pile them up between our garage doors. Small items have blown away before.

• Ally

I'm of average height. Lol. Now my mom...... The top is as high as my waist at it's highest point. It's honestly gigantic.

• Sharron W

@Ally, so it would easily make Two Benches cut in half lengthwise..LOL

• Z

I recorded all the Elvis movies on TCM last week and am just watching The Trouble With Girls now. Near the end they are packing up the Chautauqua and there's a huge toy chest that made me think of yours. Maybe your chest was used for a similar traveling group.

• Ally

You know what. That is exactly what it looks like - all the gear for a travelling band.

• Brenda Taylor

Wonderful storage box. A little (lot) of paint and hardware would do wonders. If you dont like the lettering turn the lid over. I love it.

• Sharron W

Are you posting pictures soon? LOL

• Ally

The toy box has stymied me...

• Mssmatch

My taste in decorating runs to primitive country thus I would repurpose the toy box into a coffee table

• Cynthia H

Do you have a space big enough for it as is? If not, I would make it into something smaller also. Love the ideas about tools!

• Denise

Have you ever considered a window seat? Face it towards you. Turn it in a clockwise direction. Lay on backside. The top should be easily pulled down toward the floor, making it easy to retrieve your items. Sand and paint, add thick foam, cover with room-matching material. If it doesnt stay latched, add a decorative lock, slide, or hasp.

• Heather Nates

Heather N. ON.Canada Why not use at the bottom of your bed as a blanket box to store summer clothes... Upholster the box to match your berdroom.

• UpState

Use it to store horseshoes and croquet sets for summer parties.

• Sandra Sujka

I also had a toy box which I apholstered lined the inside & use as storage 4 extra blankets etc. Also put wheels on bottom so I can easily move it